Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Brake, ABS, and ESP BAS Lights on the Dash

Old 07-29-2021 | 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Brake, ABS, and ESP BAS Lights on the Dash

Any thoughts as to what this means? I'm guessing ABS module or maybe a bad wheel speed sensor?

Old 07-29-2021 | 03:03 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Usually that will point to a bad wheel sensor. If that ABS is lit up there is almost always a code stored in the ABS module that should tell you specifically which sensor triggered it.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
dmwil (07-29-2021), Scott2012 (07-30-2021)
Old 07-29-2021 | 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Usually that will point to a bad wheel sensor. If that ABS is lit up there is almost always a code stored in the ABS module that should tell you specifically which sensor triggered it.
Will a regular code reader get it, or is there a special one that has to plug into the ABS module?
Old 07-29-2021 | 03:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Nah, have to dig deeper than the basic OBDII codes. I thought that you had Jscan already but I guess not. That is the cheapest thing that I know of and it's really dang impressive what you get for the money IMO. It's $20 license per vehicle and then just a BT dongle you get off Amazon. You could use it with your JL as well but it would be an additional license as they are tied to the VIN. Lots of people are using the programming features with Jscan. I have one that I primarily use for diagnostics and for $35 total the thing is a bargain. I prefer it over my $100 BlueDriver because it is a lot faster. More recently people have been using them to help program brand new chipped keys which is mighty handy as well. I know Karls10jk usually chimes in on a lot of your threads. He has been out of pocket lately but I know he'd back up Jscan as well. I will say that the nice thing about BlueDriver is for $100 there is no license. If you have a used car lot in your driveway like I do sometimes that route can make sense too as you can use it on any vehicle. I did a deep scan with Jscan one time and a random code I found way deep down told me my passenger side front speaker had been unplugged for a dang year! I replaced speakers and never plugged that one in . I'm sure there are many other readers out there that are handy to have, but probably not at the cost of $35-40.

My hub setup is different than factory but about a year ago I was chasing all sorts of ABS issues. Having a scanner that could get into that ABS module was priceless. What I tend to recall on my '13 was that if I'd get a quick flash of the esc light it wouldn't be enough to store a code, but when things got bad enough I'd run into situations where I'd trigger that ABS, ESC, and brake light, the tranny would bog down and the ABS light would stay on........and a code would get registered. My issue ended up being burning through front sensors as bad bearings in my hub conversion were allowing the tone ring to hit the sensor and eventually kill it. Not even remotely suggesting that is your issue, just adding color to my scenario and how my lights would randomly come on and get progressively worse.

I would think that a faulty sensor is going to be a lot more common issue in this scenario than the ABS module randomly going out. Crazier things have happened, but the first step would be to see what is stored in the computer.
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021 | 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Nah, have to dig deeper than the basic OBDII codes. I thought that you had Jscan already but I guess not. That is the cheapest thing that I know of and it's really dang impressive what you get for the money IMO. It's $20 license per vehicle and then just a BT dongle you get off Amazon. You could use it with your JL as well but it would be an additional license as they are tied to the VIN. Lots of people are using the programming features with Jscan. I have one that I primarily use for diagnostics and for $35 total the thing is a bargain. I prefer it over my $100 BlueDriver because it is a lot faster. More recently people have been using them to help program brand new chipped keys which is mighty handy as well. I know Karls10jk usually chimes in on a lot of your threads. He has been out of pocket lately but I know he'd back up Jscan as well. I will say that the nice thing about BlueDriver is for $100 there is no license. If you have a used car lot in your driveway like I do sometimes that route can make sense too as you can use it on any vehicle. I did a deep scan with Jscan one time and a random code I found way deep down told me my passenger side front speaker had been unplugged for a dang year! I replaced speakers and never plugged that one in . I'm sure there are many other readers out there that are handy to have, but probably not at the cost of $35-40.

My hub setup is different than factory but about a year ago I was chasing all sorts of ABS issues. Having a scanner that could get into that ABS module was priceless. What I tend to recall on my '13 was that if I'd get a quick flash of the esc light it wouldn't be enough to store a code, but when things got bad enough I'd run into situations where I'd trigger that ABS, ESC, and brake light, the tranny would bog down and the ABS light would stay on........and a code would get registered. My issue ended up being burning through front sensors as bad bearings in my hub conversion were allowing the tone ring to hit the sensor and eventually kill it. Not even remotely suggesting that is your issue, just adding color to my scenario and how my lights would randomly come on and get progressively worse.

I would think that a faulty sensor is going to be a lot more common issue in this scenario than the ABS module randomly going out. Crazier things have happened, but the first step would be to see what is stored in the computer.
Thanks!! I've only got an AEV Procal. But I've got a local shop that will get the code for me for free, so I'll take it to them probably next week. Right now I'm just chasing one thing after another. I just replaced the cats and all was perfect for a week, then this. Lol! I've really fixed this thing up and it is like a new Jeep. I just received a Rugged Ridge steering component skid plate to complete the update, so when I install it the last thing will be to take the sway bar disco apart and see why it won't disconnect. I'm guessing it just needs the internals cleaned up and re-greased and it should be good to go. If it is the electronic part, then I've got a manual disco knob I'll put on there and be done with it.

Gotta get her ready for my son to drive when we hit the Appalachian Byway through Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine in October. Its going to be an epic trip! I just got the JL re-geared to 4.56 rings/pinions and had a wheel speed sensor fail on it. So possibly 2 of those in 2 weeks! I've owned Jeeps for 28 years and these are the first wheel speed sensors I've ever had go south! (Assuming that's what it turns out to be on the JK).

Thanks again for the advice and insight! I'll post up when I diagnose it and get it fixed.
Old 08-01-2021 | 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Would Autozone or Advance Auto have the scanner that can tell me which wheel sensor?
Old 08-01-2021 | 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, @resharp001 I just found an old OBD adaptor and downloaded J-Scan. So $23 and I've got some data. The wheel speed sensors are fine. They are all registering speeds and are in sync and accurate. But the bad news appears to be the ABS module. It says it has an internal fault. C2200 (not sure what that means) but it says "anti-lock brake module internal".

I take that to mean the ABS module is bad? I'm going to try something before replacing it. Last year I had a similar deal with warning lights but cleared the code and the lights did not return until now. This time I cleared it and they come right back when I hit 3 or 4 mph and go about 50 feet, consistently.

One guy said he hit the connector with DeOxit spray and it cleared his up when he plugged it back in. So I'm going to try that first. After that, it'll be a new ABS module. Anyone know what those cost?

I took a pic of the sticker on top of the ABS module. But I can't find this part number anywhere. I'm assuming there must have been a revision since then?

Last edited by dmwil; 08-01-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2021 | 12:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks like a new part number has superceded the old one. I found an old one on Ebay (still good, with a guarantee) for $179. If anyone knows the newest part number and that it would be compatible with an 08, please let me know.
Old 08-01-2021 | 01:49 PM
JK Junkie

I'm the guy the did the deoxit. The lights have still never come back on!
The following users liked this post:
dmwil (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021 | 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I'm the guy the did the deoxit. The lights have still never come back on!
Awesome! I'm going that route first. The can I ordered arrives tomorrow evening. If that doesn't work, I'll order the module.

Quick Reply: Brake, ABS, and ESP BAS Lights on the Dash