Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

bow assembly that velcros to top

Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bow assembly that velcros to top

Whats the reason for the velcro on the bow assembly, the one above the sound bar on the 4 door. Why would you have to remove it? You can put it in the SunRider position and all the way down without undoing the velcro. When would you need to undo it from the top?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default velcro top

i would have to go out to the parking lot to check for sure on my jeep. but i think you are talking about the small bar above the soundbar, and the fact that the top is attached to that with two flaps that velcro together around it.

If my assumption is right. the only reason you would have to remove it is to seperate the top fabric from the top hardware.

I had a 97 and I had to replace the soft top once. The hardware was still fine so i ordered a replace-a-top from Bestop, it had a similar velcro closure around one of the top bows
Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 PM
JK Freak

Ya, the bow above the sound bar. So the only reason to ever unvelcro it is if you get new skin and keep the hardware? I'd have to go look again but I think the top is connected to another bow in the back that is not velcro'd on, maybe the bar can be slid out to replace the top on that one ... i'll look closer when the sun comes out.

SIDE NOTE :
The next full moon is going to be a "blue moon" so grab a date, wife, husband, kids or the dog and drive out somewhere dark with the top down and check it out. A "blue moon" only happens once every so many years.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

When is the blue moon? Gotta find a sitter so the JK can be christened proper... Giggity-Giggity
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elibodman
When is the blue moon? Gotta find a sitter so the JK can be christened proper... Giggity-Giggity

That kinda sitter would get me in big trouble with the mrs.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
Whats the reason for the velcro on the bow assembly, the one above the sound bar on the 4 door. Why would you have to remove it? You can put it in the SunRider position and all the way down without undoing the velcro. When would you need to undo it from the top?
A while back i ran across a thread talking about opening up the sunrider and the top getting ripped. In one of the posts it said there was a way to just open it up above the front seats only and it involved the velcro you are talking about.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...7&postcount=10

I haven't tried this yet but will probably try it today just out of curiosity. It's the only purpose i could imagine for it.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

You never have to take off the Velcro to that Bar.. Unless you are removing the fabric from the frame..

I watched those (uninformed salesmen) from the dealership try to show a new Jeep owner how to fold down their sunrider top and screwed it up by removing the Velcro from the bar...

After a while I couldn't stand it anymore and showed them how to do it..

the people were grateful, and so was the salesman.. (sheepishly)

Seems the Salesmen/women do not get any training on the new JKs' on tops etc.

They (DC) had a video when they 1st came out, but somehow it got discontinued .. Imagine that...

NOTE: Be very careful of the plastic yoke ends on that bar when folding the sunrider top as they will break if your not careful .. Most of the complaints and broken parts /issues relating to the sunrider top..
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

I've had my top open and off numerous times and have never undone the velcro either. The post i was referring to, https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...7&postcount=10, was talking about just uncovering the front seats. Like half the sunrider, i guess. I'm probably going to try it. Although, why go to the trouble of opening it up just part of the way, but i am courious how it looks. If i do i'll post a pic.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by instantclogger
I've had my top open and off numerous times and have never undone the velcro either. The post i was referring to, https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...7&postcount=10, was talking about just uncovering the front seats. Like half the sunrider, i guess. I'm probably going to try it. Although, why go to the trouble of opening it up just part of the way, but i am courious how it looks. If i do i'll post a pic.
Cool, I want to see those.. curious now.. Only thought we had the one option.. besides on/off etc.

Then I WILL have to do it..!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by elibodman
The "blue moon" is on 5/31. but i'm not sure if it really looks blue or if they just call the 2nd full moon in 1 month a blue moon ... 5/2 & 5/31.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Quick Reply: bow assembly that velcros to top