Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Boshield T9 Rust Preventor

Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boshield T9 Rust Preventor

Hey guys,

I recently started driving on the beach often, and though I never drive in the surf or wet sand, salt always will find its way all throughout your Jeep, particularly the undercarriage. Despite the fact that I hose it down very well after such trips, surface rust is always quick to appear in these conditions.

To combat this, I have been researching and found what appears to be a lovely product called Boshield T9. It was developed by DoD contractor Boeing to act as a Rust inhibitor for air craft and marine application, but evidently it works really well on just about everything, including autos. It is safe for electrical connections, as it is non-conductive, and is actually recommended to be used on any electrical device as it prevents active corrosion. It is safe on paint and rubber and sprays on via an aerosol but creates a waxy layer of paraffin (not silicone) to act as a layer of shielding which rust cannot form easily over.

Also, it apparently works well to patches of existing rust. As quoted:
"Will not harm paints, plastics, rubber or vinyl/ safe on engines, wiring, belts, etc.
BOESHIELD T-9 will attack existing corrosion, loosen rusty parts, and protect all metals for months."

Has anyone used this stuff to any success?? As I said, I plan on doing a lot of beach driving in the summer and I'm thinking this stuff would be great to douse the undercarriage/frame/steering components with. Especially areas like the door hinges and the cut hoods of us AEV Snorkel users.

So any testimonials out there?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boeshield is a great product.
I also do kayaking in a folding (skin on frame) kayak. Boeshield is the product of choice for those on the coasts who paddle saltwater. They use it on the joints of the aluminum frame to keep them from corroding and locking together.

There are less expensive products, but Boeshield appears to be the longest lasting. My paddling friends tell me it's a once-a-season application.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

After painting all exposed metal surfaces on the undercarriage/drivetrain of my Jeep (you know, the rust covered ones), I slathered everything in Boeshield, including the entire engine. That was in 2010. To this day it's still a rust free jeep. Will reapply again before next winter. Granted there's no salt water beaches in Colorado, so you'll likely have to apply it more often. Good product though.

Edit:
One thing to add, once applied it will attract dust & dirt. The surface that you apply it to will have a film on it (Paraffin wax) that will collect dirt. This is particularly true if you put a thick coat on as one should with an undercarriage for maximum protection. It's appearance may be unsightly, but the metal will be protected underneath. For example, the frame rails will appear slightly grayish with it on. On the door hinges, where the hinge attaches to the body and door, you will see some minor accumulation of dirt. These can be easily cleaned off, it's self-limiting, and after a while they will cease to collect dirt.
Not to turn you off from using it, just something to be aware of.

Last edited by Incognito; 06-07-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

All great testimonials, I'm glad -- I just ordered a $15 bottle. Lol

Any word on what it does to existing surface rust? I'm assuming it'd just stop it from getting any worse?

And thanks for the info, good to know. As long as the base layer is still protected is all that really matters.

Last edited by spyther; 06-07-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Boshield T9 Rust Preventor