Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Body color Freedom Tops & fenders - Scratches ???

Old 03-29-2012, 11:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body color Freedom Tops & fenders - Scratches ???

Have anyone taken their Body Colored Freedom Tops off road through bushy trails?

How does the painted tops & fenders do with the 'pinstriping' from tree branches?

Compared to the original Freedom Tops from earlier models? (I have a 2008 Rubicon and know how the original top handles scratches)
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does anyone wheel their Jeeps with body color tops and fenders?

or are they just 'street Jeeps'?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally dont have one, but my guess would be since the paint is the same as on the body, it would react the same as the paint on your sides/doors, some buffing necessary to get them out as long as they are just surface scratches and not through the clear coat.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, that makes sense I didn't think about that.

Still like to hear from actual experiences....
Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take mine in the hills. I get Nevada pin stripes alot. They wipe right off because i usually give it a once over with Bugslide before going out. I like that stuff so much i buy it by the gallon. Saved my paint in a duststorm, too! The entire right side windows had to be replaced, but the paint was still smooth and shiny.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

I have the painted top and fenders. Its a tan jeep and i have run through the bushy trees in northwest canada so fur and pin trees. and i have also run through trees in missouri which are a little different. i get some scratches. however with the color that i have i don't notice it at all really unless i'm 2 feet away and looking for them. i know people with the black tops and i can see the scratches a little further away. If you really worried about it then don't run it down those trails. However if you want to run those trails, you will get scratches no matter what. i think color really has something to do with it tho. White tan and silver were my only options for my jeep due to the visibility of scratches.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered all white yesterday.

In my opinion, the AZ pinstriping (surface scratches) add character, but my wife doesn't like the idea of scratches on the new Jeep. I guess I can hire someone to run a head with branch cutters on the trail.

I plan on putting on numerous coats of good wax. That should help.

What is Bugslider? Where do I get that? Sounds like that could help the bugs over the front of my RV and Goldwing too.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.bugslide.com/

It would work great on your bike and RV.

I get mine on ebay
Old 04-04-2012, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

I wheel mine like there is no tommorow and i have the painted fenders and top... You are gonna get scratches no matter what and mine is black so my scratches show a little better nothing i cant fix with black wax and a little elbow grease.... My GF and buddies said the same thing about wheeling a 30,000 dollar vehicle and i simply respond with I bought a jeep for a purpose to wheel, i didnt buy an FJ or hummer just to look pretty..... I will be plastidipping my whole jeep this weekend and we will see if that helps with wheeling......
Old 04-04-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

plus mine gets a monthly visit to the spa and all scratches are gone except the ones where my buddy dropped my hard top in our condo in florida but that is another story.....

Quick Reply: Body color Freedom Tops & fenders - Scratches ???