Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Blue Smoke on start-up?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get them to take care of it before your warranty runs out! Does it expire at
36k? If it expires at 36k they probably saw how close you are to the expiration date and figured they can avoid servicing under warranty by making you wait 'til you hit 36k. Here's what you need to do. Make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the crankcase and then drive it to the stealer and make sure you drove long enough for the engine to warm up completely and the valve train is well oiled. Then, leave it at the stealership for a day or two and keep the key so they can't start it while you're not there. After a day or two, get the service writer and tech and fire it up in their presence. If blue smoke comes out there shouldn't be any dispute that the engine needs to be repaired under warranty.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on what spartan99 said. Then if they tell you that it needs to get WORSE or produce a code before they can troubleshoot it... get THAT in writing. (unfreakin believable)

Duffy out.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
I was going to say bad rings to. If it's under warranty and they say it has to get worse, "F*ck that." Go to another dealership...might be a drive but hey. Amazing how different some service departments are.
x2 definately sounds like it could be a bad piston ring or two.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartan99
Get them to take care of it before your warranty runs out! Does it expire at
36k? If it expires at 36k they probably saw how close you are to the expiration date and figured they can avoid servicing under warranty by making you wait 'til you hit 36k. Here's what you need to do. Make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the crankcase and then drive it to the stealer and make sure you drove long enough for the engine to warm up completely and the valve train is well oiled. Then, leave it at the stealership for a day or two and keep the key so they can't start it while you're not there. After a day or two, get the service writer and tech and fire it up in their presence. If blue smoke comes out there shouldn't be any dispute that the engine needs to be repaired under warranty.
I have 295xx mile now, and prob wont hit 36 until early next year. It isnt my DD, and it has only done it 3 times since July. The video idea is a good one, but it is so inconsistent that I cant pattern it. I would think that it would do it only when it sits for a week, but it isnt. The last time it happened is when I was driving it a couple days in a row. I am going to closely monitor my dipstick and see if it is consuming any oil at all. Thanks for all the advice. I've got 6500 miles to figure it out. The lady at the dealership was very nice and she noted it on my history, and also said she would never deny anyone who had a problem just out of warranty. I guess its easy to say that until you need them. Actions speak louder than words.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke on start-up?