Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Blue Smoke on start-up?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Smoke on start-up?

I've had my jeep since july and 3 times it has had blue smoke on initial start up. Called the dealer and they said they'd note it, but needed it to get worse or produce a code for them to trouble shoot. Has anyone else had this?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hmmm....well how long as the truck been sitting when you see the smoke? Blue smoke would sound like burning oil to me, and if the truck has been sitting long (say a week or more) I could see a bit of leakage and maybe some smoke. Does your truck use any oil?
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKJosh
and they said they'd note it, but needed it to get worse or produce a code for them to trouble shoot. Has anyone else had this?
What a bunch of jerks !!!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many miles on it?
Since you've only had it for 5 months or so, perhaps the engine is not yet worked in, and with the cold weather and all... On the other hand, blue smoke from the exhaust usually means you are burning oil. Either from bad rings or valve guides. Is the Jeep consuming any oil? I'd check that, and if so how much. Then with that information, a trip to the dealer might be prudent.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to say bad rings to. If it's under warranty and they say it has to get worse, "F*ck that." Go to another dealership...might be a drive but hey. Amazing how different some service departments are.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought it used with 23K miles and now its at 29. It might use a little oil, but I've only had to change oil once, so not really noticed a whole lot. I am going to call another dealer and get another opinion. I used the first b/c I know someone who works there, and they didnt care about the lift. I will take it off if need be.

I cant believe no one else has experienced this.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be the rings, but it's doubtful. Rings will exhibit oil consumption all the time if they are bad. The more likely cause is valvetrain related. It's probably somethin stupid like a split valve seal. After the Jeep is parked, oil is allowed to run down the valve stem and if the seal is compromised, it can bypass the seal and continue right down the valve stem, through the valve guide and end up in the cylinder. Of course other causes in the general area include worn valve stem and or guide....but I'd like to think it's too new for all that.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKJosh
I bought it used with 23K miles and now its at 29. It might use a little oil, but I've only had to change oil once, so not really noticed a whole lot. I am going to call another dealer and get another opinion. I used the first b/c I know someone who works there, and they didnt care about the lift. I will take it off if need be.

I cant believe no one else has experienced this.
I would not call a dealer. Take your vehicle in and drop it off for service for them to fix whatever is causing the smoke. Calling them really wont get you anywhere. Start checking your oil every 1000 miles and noting its level. If you see excess consumption then you definitely have a problem. Burning oil is not cool on a vehicle with 29 k miles.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Junkie

I agree, your rig should not be doing that at all, X2 on the above possible issues.....take a video clip of the start up.....I hate dealerhips...when my rear locker coil went, I took a clip and sent it to them, so they could hear, it still took them a while, but they did replace the entire diff internals......oh ya the other thing is , and I am starting to do, is to get pissed at them, and demand service...you paid good money for the JK, and it should not be doing this.

That is complete BS about the trouble code excuse....that is just dealer code word for, "go away, I don't want to deal with this"

good luck...keep us updated....
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blue smoke on start up is not rings. Ring's show smoke as RPM increases, whith the most being at higher rpm when the crank shaft wips oil up onto the bottom of the cylinders. If you only get it on startup its a leaking valve stem seal. As the engine sits, oil leaks past onto the back side fo the valve, where it then gets sucked in and burned. You can most readily find out what cylinder is doing it by checking the plugs. They will all be a tan color except for the one thats leaking, which should show some black, and maybe even oil deposits if its bad enough.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke on start-up?