Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Block heater...

Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block heater...

Is there a task for installing one in the FSM?

I've got a local dealer that's charging me boo-coo after putting one in and I'd like to read the task before I go tell them where to put it.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock block heater is installed in a freeze plug on the passenger side. (Right hand side when in the vehicle).

The cord comes up near the battery and then can be routed (by the end user) anywhere within reason they wish.

While I don't know what the freeze plug procedure is specifically on these engines, it is usually.

1. Drain the coolant.

2. Remove freeze plug

3. Clean engine core hole

4. Insert heating element (for the 4.0L that was with the element "up") and fasten any mounting screws.

5. Fill cooling system

6. Attach power cord to heater, secure cord in place to existing wiring harness in front of the battery.

----

So the difficult part is really the coolant drain, removal of the freeze plug, and coolant fill...
Old 02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Tracking. I wish I'd had enough time to just do it myself. I'm about to go discuss proper maintenance procedures with a manager or two, I'm sure.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Turns out their labor rates are obscene. No other issues with the bill so I paid it. I thought they were screwing me with hidden charges but they were clearly posted rates, lol.

Quick Reply: Block heater...