Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bilstein shocks

Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
If you were in Colorado I'd give you my Rubicon shocks.
Thanks for the kind offer. I just pretended to be a customer on another website and they told me the same thing you guys are telling me. So now I am more confused then ever. I sent another email to get clarification and hopefully a resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Kojack
I am running the same basic setup as the OP. teraflex leveling lift, 33s, and I am running Monroe reflex monotubes. I love them. I have approx. 80k on my set now and they are as new really. no leaks, no change in damping from new, etc. The best part about monroes is their warranty, replace free just bring the old one back. You can get them on BOGO at most major parts dealers. I highly recommend them for a 2.5" lift or less etc...
I would like to point you again to this post I made earlier. Your shocks are to long. I would return them and tell them they sent you the wrong ones. Then, Go buy yourself some reflex. They work AWESOME. I have many thousands of KMS both on and off road on mine and they are still going strong.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a response back from them. I also checked with my mechanic. My mechanic said I am fine with the present setup. I also got this response from the cust service dept "The shock that you have on the rear is only 1" longer than
stock. That is the same shock I do for anyone that has a leveling kit and I
have not had any problems yet." So at this point I am going to leave it. It's my daily driver. I don't exactly have the funds to build an all Out suspension. I name going to utilize all the info give to me and make this work. I like to thank everyone for all your help. I truly learned a lot!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Glad to hear things will work for your setup. Cut them shock boots off and spent worry about it.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 951Rubi
Glad to hear things will work for your setup. Cut them shock boots off and spent worry about it. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Thank you, and I really appreciate everyone's advise. I think the picture I took made it look worse. I was under the jeep yesterday and was playing around. I think it should be okay but I am far from an expert. I guess taking off the boots is just a matter of cutting the rubber off? Do I need to do anything else? The piston? Just want to make sure. I know in a few months the luxury will wear off and I won't care.

Once again thank you!!!!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
Thank you, and I really appreciate everyone's advise. I think the picture I took made it look worse. I was under the jeep yesterday and was playing around. I think it should be okay but I am far from an expert. I guess taking off the boots is just a matter of cutting the rubber off? Do I need to do anything else? The piston? Just want to make sure. I know in a few months the luxury will wear off and I won't care. Once again thank you!!!! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
sharp knife is all you need. Just cut em!

Old 07-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
I got a response back from them. I also checked with my mechanic. My mechanic said I am fine with the present setup. I also got this response from the cust service dept "The shock that you have on the rear is only 1" longer than stock. That is the same shock I do for anyone that has a leveling kit and I have not had any problems yet." So at this point I am going to leave it. It's my daily driver. I don't exactly have the funds to build an all Out suspension. I name going to utilize all the info give to me and make this work. I like to thank everyone for all your help. I truly learned a lot! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Cut the boots off and take the measurements I suggested and then you'll know for sure.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

After a week and some stress I really like these shocks. The ride in my jeep has improved a lot! The boots are off, you guys are correct it does look better.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-285256276.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	494.1 KB
ID:	617616  
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM
srg
JK Newbie

I ordered some 5100's from 4wheelparts.com and have the same part #'s the OP listed. I also am going to be using them on a TF puck leveling kit (2"/1") on my '13 JKUS.
When I install everything this weekend, i'll take before and after measurements.

Good info fellas.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks