Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bilstein shocks

Old 07-07-2015, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled mine off before I put my 5100's on. They look nicer and won't trap mud that way.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-07-2015, 07:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
My new dilemma is do I get rid of the boots altogether? I have heard conflicting ideas on what I should do.
Click into the Modified Tech section, there is a current thread talking about it.

You have not mentioned the specs on the rear shocks, or even the part number. It was suggested that you actually do some checking to make sure that you do not over-compress and blow out the shocks, and that you don't have so much downtravel that you unseat the coils and they fall out. Probably good advice, rather than "a guy assured me they are fine..."
Old 07-08-2015, 04:20 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A leveling kit alone doesn't really change the dynamics of the stock suspension. It only changes the ride height. Now that you installed longer than stock shocks you need more bump stop and also risk unseating the springs at droop. I would remove the boots (I did and 30K miles later no issues) and measure the amount of exposed shock piston. Compare that to the amount of space between the axle and the bump stop cup, not including the foam jounce bumper. I can tell by the picture it looks very close. Next step is to droop the suspension and see if the springs unseat.

With a leveling kit its best to have stock length or slightly longer shocks. If you get into making a bunch of mods to make the shocks work you might as well get springs, bump stops and other parts to set the suspension up right.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Here's a pic with lines to reference for measuring. They might be ok and the picture is deceiving, but they look to long to me. The only way to know is too measure them since you have doubts. Don't assume the guy at the shop knows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3305202276.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	617262  
Old 07-08-2015, 04:36 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Here's my set up with 5100s. At full compression it's bump stopped to have some shock piston exposed to ensure they don't bottom out. Bottoming out shocks will break stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4019003926.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	617263  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you, thank you, thank you NCB & everyone else that has responded to my question. When I was saying a guy said I should be okay it was the rep from 4wd.com. The part number in the book is Bil24-146708 front & the rear is Bil24-146715. He looked at my invoice and checked with my leveling kit that I should be fine. I am going to perform these checks this weekend. I do plan on taking the boots off. Not that is the real important issue. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Last edited by jjmmagoo; 07-08-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
Here's my set up with 5100s. At full compression it's bump stopped to have some shock piston exposed to ensure they don't bottom out. Bottoming out shocks will break stuff.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2037442316.png
Views:	149
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	617302

That's what I'm sitting at, I had to throw my old shock spacers in to get them to work for now. I'm going to move my lower mount up about 3" as I won't have an issue with unseating coils as much with the metalcloak coils.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I presently have a Tera flex leveling kit
2" front / 1" rear ?

The part number in the book is Bil24-146708 front & the rear is Bil24-146715.
Spec'd for 2-3.5" lifts ?

Just from the numbers, those shocks will be compressed at ride height (which the pic seems to show), and give extra down-travel. Good call on checking that the shocks don't over-compress and that the coils don't fall out.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
2" front / 1" rear ? Spec'd for 2-3.5" lifts ? Just from the numbers, those shocks will be compressed at ride height (which the pic seems to show), and give extra down-travel. Good call on checking that the shocks don't over-compress and that the coils don't fall out.
Ugh, I am so annoyed! Not you guys! You guys are trying to help a pathetic dope. The 4wd.com service reps said they checked with Bilstein & assured me this setup is ok. I know what I have to do. I am just annoyed. Annoyed enough to have these removed and get something else.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Ugh, I am so annoyed! Not you guys! You guys are trying to help a pathetic dope. The 4wd.com service reps said they checked with Bilstein & assured me this setup is ok. I know what I have to do. I am just annoyed. Annoyed enough to have these removed and get something else. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
If you were in Colorado I'd give you my Rubicon shocks.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks