Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bilstein shocks

Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody have a similar setup to mine? I have a 2009 JK unlimited. Terraflex leveling kit on 33 inch duratracs. I am asking cause the boot looks mushed at the bottom. I have asked a few questions and some think this might be the wrong size shock? Just curious. I was told this would be fine size wise but from what I am seeing this doesn't look normal. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4203119030.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	617171  
Old 07-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
Does anybody have a similar setup to mine? I have a 2009 JK unlimited. Terraflex leveling kit on 33 inch duratracs. I am asking cause the boot looks mushed at the bottom. I have asked a few questions and some think this might be the wrong size shock? Just curious. I was told this would be fine size wise but from what I am seeing this doesn't look normal. Thanks for your help. Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Looks to me like the shock is too long. Judging by the picture the shock will bottom out before the axle.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

What length shock are those? Let do appear to be too long

Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

With that leveling kit you should be running stock length or near stock length shocks.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
With that leveling kit you should be running stock length or near stock length shocks.
Gosh, I thought I would be okay??? I guess I have to go back to the drawing board? Or what could I do to make this work? Thanks!

Last edited by jjmmagoo; 07-07-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
Gosh, I thought I would be okay??? I guess I have to go back to the drawing board? Or what could I do to make this work? Thanks!
it depend on what length the shocks are extended and collapsed. You could get shorter shocks, or you could get taller coils.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:43 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Longer bump stops which will only limit the up travel. Have you drooped the axles to see if the springs unseat?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
Longer bump stops which will only limit the up travel. Have you drooped the axles to see if the springs unseat?

Just annoyed, I had no idea. The place I purchased the shocks from didnt say anything about these issues. Not totally blaming them but I made it clear my present setup and was given the green light. Just disappointed. Just got an email from the place I ordered the shocks. They said "according to the Bilstein website it would fit". I am just sooooooo confused.

Last edited by jjmmagoo; 07-07-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

In all honesty they could be fine. It all depends on your up travel. Check to see if the hocks bottom out before you hit bump stop. I took my shock boots off.
My shocks are a bit short for my lift, so I'll be relocating the shock mounts here soon to utilize more travel.
What I would do it measure how much of the shock shaft is exposed when it's just sitting there and measure roughly lob much distance you have from axle to bump stop. That should give you an idea of how you sit.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for your help Rubi. I just got an email from the place I purchased them and the guy assured me they are fine. I think he might be correct. I think the boot on the shock has been scrunged a bit and I think in pictures the boot is a little higher on the shock. My new dilemma is do I get rid of the boots altogether? I have heard conflicting ideas on what I should do.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks