Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bilstein shocks

Old 05-16-2015, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein shocks

I might be in the market for shocks. I presently have a Tera flex leveling kit with 33 inch duratracs riding on my jk-unlimited. Are there any opinions about Bilsteins??? With my present setup will the bilstein 5100 be okay? Is there something better? Thanks for your insight.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-16-2015, 04:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
I might be in the market for shocks. I presently have a Tera flex leveling kit with 33 inch duratracs riding on my jk-unlimited. Are there any opinions about Bilsteins??? With my present setup will the bilstein 5100 be okay? Is there something better? Thanks for your insight.

I've been running the 5100's for a few years now and have no complaints. A huge difference from the ProComp ones that came with my first lift. They are well built, have a smooth ride, and were relatively cheap. I know several guys who run them and I have heard no complaints. That being said, I haven't ridden in anything else long enough to be able to tell you about competitors.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

I have the 5160 on my unlimited tuned by AEV.. the seem ok the back shocks have a lot of rebound due to the valving AEV sets them up with. I will tell you the shine doest last worth the shit in Michigan. My shocks were rusted with red rust all over so I striped them and painted them silver. In my opinion the 5160 shocks are not worth the extra cash unless you plan on doing some extreme driving for long periods of time.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:40 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

IMO, they are very good entry level shocks. Used them for about 3 yrs, blew two out due to over heating them on some high speed desert runs over waffled out fire roads. Until that time they were good on the street and the trail. Good bang for the buck.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is "you get what you pay for" applicable here? You look at jeeps magazines and just too many options to look at. I mean rancho, skyjacker, etc, etc, etc.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

SkyJackers stay away from, along with any other shock that is in the $50 or less range.

Posted this to a different thread a little while ago...

"Stiffest so softest... look at the Fox 2.0 Evolution Series, Bilstein 5100's, Rubicon Express MonoTubes, Rancho 7000MT, Old Man Emu NitroChargers, Rancho 9000XL, TeraFlex VSS. All of those will run 65-100 per corner. There are a lot of other options, many others are much more expensive, ones that are cheaper than those, I really wouldn't even look at."
Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am running the same basic setup as the OP. teraflex leveling lift, 33s, and I am running Monroe reflex monotubes. I love them. I have approx. 80k on my set now and they are as new really. no leaks, no change in damping from new, etc. The best part about monroes is their warranty, replace free just bring the old one back. You can get them on BOGO at most major parts dealers. I highly recommend them for a 2.5" lift or less etc...
Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running teraflex leveling, 1.5" RC spacers and 33" Duratracs (275/70-18) on stock JKUS rims. The 5100 shocks made a huge difference in my handling. I drive road, and sand on the beach and find nothing lacking.

There may be better shocks out there, I'm sure of it. I will use these again when the time comes because I'm comfortable with the ride; no reason to change.

-FD
Old 05-22-2015, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just took the plunge. Talked the wife into a early Father's Day gift. Ordered the 5100 series from 4wd. They have a very good sale going on so I figured why not? It's my daily driver and figured it would be another good upgrade from stock. Thanks everyone for your advise. Happy Memorial Day!

Old 05-22-2015, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jjmmagoo
Just took the plunge. Talked the wife into a early Father's Day gift. Ordered the 5100 series from 4wd. They have a very good sale going on so I figured why not? It's my daily driver and figured it would be another good upgrade from stock. Thanks everyone for your advise. Happy Memorial Day!

IMO you made the right decision on the 5100"s. They are worth the money spent. I'm running the 5160's with no complaints.

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks