Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bike Carrier Damages the Swing Gate???

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bike Carrier Damages the Swing Gate???

Howdy Yall!

I want a bike carrier. I don't have a hitch and I'm weighing the cost options. I can get a solid strong tire mount carrier rather than install a hitch and get a hitch mount. I'll continue using my cherokee to tow my atv's and boat.

My question is....I have 35 tires on and I'm worried about the swing gate getting damaged if I've got three bikes hanging off of the tire. This mount DOES not go under the tire. It just hangs off of it.

Can anyone tell me if damage can be incurred from hanging bikes off this swing gate. AND NO, I wouldn't open the gate with bikes on it. I'm tired of shoving my bike in the back with the seat up. Takes me forever and I've scratched enough up already.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/SPARE-TIRE-...1#BVQAWidgetID

^ thats the rack.

Anyone with a similar carrier system or experience/advice on this issue? Would you recommend this? Is it safe?

Thank YOU!!!!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think you would be pushing the weight limits of the stock Tire Carrier with your 35's and then adding your Bike & rack to the back would even stretch the limits of the tire carrier! Also, will that tire mount fit with a wider and bigger tire???

If it was me....

I would consider either getting the hitch with hitch mount bike carrier OR look at getting an aftermarket rear bumper with tire carrier and get the tire mounted bike rack.

Quick Reply: Bike Carrier Damages the Swing Gate???