Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bestop Soft Doors

Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bestop Soft Doors

Its been well documented here that the Bestop soft doors were of poor quality when they first came out. I called Quadratec a few weeks ago and spoke to a rep that seemed to be familiar with the issue. I asked them if they’re still having problems and he indicated that Bestop has fixed all quality issues.

Has anyone ordered these recently? The last post about this was back in 2009 and hoping the quality has improved since then.

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I've got them. They fit ok. You just really have to get them adjusted to fit in the door surround or else they will separate at the top at speeds of 50mph and above
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Newbie

I bought mine last month. With minor tweaking they fit pretty good. Under 50 mph they're great. Excellent around town or a side road. On the highway the rear doors stay solid at 70mph however the fronts let the light come thru a gap in the front. If there no wind on the highway they're ok (louder) and they stay in place. I live in a windy area near the water. My first road trip at 60-70mph i ran into a side wind... I could stick my fingers and part of my hand in the flapping hole. It took a good cross wind to break the seal, but when it did... It did. I was expecting something so I was prepared with the Velcro straps around the roll bar . After that, life was good. I will say again, over 50 mph it gets loud. A 21-22 setting on the radio help to distract you from the wind coming in.

Also, they don't leak when parked in the rain. They don't leak when driving in the rain. They pressure wash with minimal issues (if your careful).

My favorite part about the doors is they are light, they come off fast, they latch well and there no paint to scratch the soft half doors when I'm playing in the woods.

I got exactly what I wanted. They will go into the garage in the fall where they belong (snow climate) and come back out in the spring.

I hope thats of use to you.

Last edited by Gunn; 06-03-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have them also. The doors are to hard for my 8yo to open and i did have to adjust them a little so they would not pull out when over 60mph. I cannot fault them for the price, would rather the new hard half doors out but these soft doors are allot less...

Just posted pictures in the picture forum also..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110603_135609.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	167522  
Old 06-03-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default Bestop Soft Door

Thanks guys! This is exactly the feedback i was looking for

Gunn, great detail! I too live in snow area, so these would be summer time only, mostly under 50 MPH.

I think i'll order up a set!
Old 06-03-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was not pleased with them didnt fin like i wanted even after tweeking i had no problem with the lowers but the upprs were nothing but a headake
Old 06-03-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of you ever had an old CJ with full soft doors? I was around a few as a kid but I don't remember how they were. Did they have the same issues that the Bestop soft doors have back then? I would really like to get these soft doors, but I had no idea they had this many issues.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

If you know/understand what your getting you'll be very happy with them.

A couple other things to expect. Your going to find you have another +3" of room where the hard door normally comes into the cab. The first few times in the jeep I kept trying to rest my elbow in the door... No door to rest my your elbow on. Now I either use the console or hold the grab handle.

Regarding gas mileage, it's like having one less person in the jeep. Better gas mileage... Not that it's a big issue with most jeep owners however, they will improve it.

I believe you will find most people who dislike the doors want to use them like regular doors most of the time, only taking off occasionally. Those who love them (me included) want half doors/no doors most if the time, only using the uppers when there's rain/cold/too much wind.

Have fun with the new doors. The jeep guys in in your area will be jealous.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

They're convenient to have when you want to go doorless and find yourself caught, needing some quick protection. As previously mentioned, they're good on the trail.

But I have the same problems with the top halfs pulling away from the jeep (only on the fronts, particularly the driver's side) at speeds greater than about 45mph. They leak REALLY badly, but they're better than nothing, I suppose.

Quick Reply: Bestop Soft Doors