Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

bestop fuel door

Old 06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bestop fuel door

Hello there

Just installed the black fuel door hatch by Bestop. Bit of a pain to instal, but seems to be on there good now. But I do have a question...... after instal, I was left with a millimeter gap between the top of the assembly (the part closest to the roof) and the sheet metal of the jeep causing it to not sit flush. Does anyone else have this after instal, or did I just mess up?
Sorry for not having pictures, my camera is away for the weekend. Note to self......stop letting the girlfriend borrow the camera.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 AM
JK Freak

I have the Rugged Ridge one and it fits great,plus it was easy to install. Good luck with the BT one. Post a pic when you can so we can see what your talking about.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can people post some pix of the fuel doors and comment on installation and their satisfaction with the product?

I saw a mopar - not sure of the installation. I have not seen the others.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

have a mopar, black on my 07, easy to install,fits and looks great
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the RR one. There is a gap of about 1/16" . It did not fit right against the side.
But you can't tell unless you are looking for the gap.
I am happy with it.
got the locking one and it works well.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

hey all, figured out what was wrong, I had missed pressing in one of the clips. There's still a minimal gap between the top and the sheet metal, but like PeterWendy said, you have to be looking for the gap to see it.

As far as installing these fuel doors, they all seem fairly easy. The hardest part is (if you choose the Mopar or Highrock one) getting the stock enclosure out. With only two of four release tabs reachable, it requires a bit of twisting and pulling to get out. The rest is pretty easy.

HDGreyrider, to answer your question of satisfaction, I really like the look of having a fuel door. It serves a slight purpose of keeping the mud and snow away from the gas cap, but lets face it, it's really just a cosmetic mod. Personally though, I think it gives the jeep a more finished look. Will post pics as soon as I get my camera back.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put the Mopar on my '07. Need to be careful on the install not to bend the thin sheet metal. It has a small gap also.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also installed the Mopar. You're correct about the thin sheetmetal. I went slowly, took it easy and mine fit's great.
Err..... I mean my wifes.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

i have the RR one as most. i chose this because it was easy to mount w/out removing the taillight. i just put it in a week ago. i'm not fond of the metal on metal contact and may just run a piece of automotive trim inbetween to prevent any corrosion. maybe i'm just a tight azz...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

I also have the RR one and it has no metal on metal. Infact it dosen't even youch any metal. I is a CH away from the body and installed from the inside with 4 screws.The no drill type.

Quick Reply: bestop fuel door