Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best Way to store Transfer-case

Old 10-11-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to store Transfer-case

I recently swapped the original 2.73:1 transfer case to a Rubi T-case on the jeep.

My question is what do I do need to know about storing the old one? My main concern is the old fluid, I drained it but I dont know if that means its really all out. I would hate to let it sit around for a few years and if I ever wanted to sell it I would hate for it to have gotten ruined because I didnt store it correctly.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

That's a good question.

I would imagine t-cases sit around all the time with no issues.

If you want to go to the trouble, purge the air out with nitrogen (T-case not pressurized at all).

Close the vent, take out the fill plug. Stick a small tube (from a low pressure nitrogen bottle) in the fill hole. As the nitrogen goes in, it will push out the regular air around the small tube. Reinstall the fill plug.
You will have minimal moisture and minimal O2 inside.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default won't be hurt

Put the case in a plastic trash bag and tie it up- I've disassembled model T Ford and old tractor engines/differentials that have sat outside for 60 years- no water entry means NO deterioration. They look like NEW inside. The lube doesn't break down either- as long as water doesn't get inside....

Quick Reply: Best Way to store Transfer-case