Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best way to clean the engine bay

Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to clean the engine bay

My whole entire engine bay is muddy as hell and I would like some advice on the most efficient way of cleaning it without damaging anything. Thanks
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone has any experience cleaning an engine bay on a 2012 JK yet?
I've been using my new toy the way it's supposed to be used, and now my entire engine bay is really dusty and little muddy. What areas should I worry about? I figure I need to cover the air intake and battery...
Old 11-28-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've used both Simple Green and 409 spray with a power washer. I found the Simple Green to be better, but 409 does well. When dry I'll take a can of WD-40 and spray the whole engine and hoses (careful not to get on serpentine belt) and then wipe down with a cloth. Shines up real nice and it also dissipates any residual water.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

I use Gunk engine cleaner. Spray over engine anywhere and let sit for 1 minute. Spray off. I go to wash bay. I do bag the alternator. I like the smell. Wife hates it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep2007
I use Gunk engine cleaner. Spray over engine anywhere and let sit for 1 minute. Spray off. I go to wash bay. I do bag the alternator. I like the smell. Wife hates it.
LOL - I do the same.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

What? no one else uses a toothbrush to clean everything?...ugg... Hope the wife never reads this thread i might not beable to trick her in to doing it again....whats 8hrs on a sunday compared to a clean eng bay?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Junkie

I just cleaned mine at the hi-pressure bay car wash using the technique outlined by Ludski. I detailed the plastic pieces using the Gunk tire shine. It looked beautiful after!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0195.jpg
Views:	1576
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	243061

Edit: Added gratuitous engine bay picture to show how pretty my 2009 engine bay is since cleaning it.

Last edited by Hook-Em; 11-28-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Why does everyone think spraying down a engine with clean water will do harm to electrical components? they are designed to be used in the outdoors and are sprayed with dirty/salty/sandy water every day they are driven in the rain/snow or offroad.

I can understand not holding a pressure washer directly at a single part or connector for too long but a quick burst of water shouldn't do any damage.

I have yet to ever have a problem with using a hoes or a pressure washer inside my engine bay on any car I have owned.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
Why does everyone think spraying down a engine with clean water will do harm to electrical components? they are designed to be used in the outdoors and are sprayed with dirty/salty/sandy water every day they are driven in the rain/snow or offroad.

I can understand not holding a pressure washer directly at a single part or connector for too long but a quick burst of water shouldn't do any damage.

I have yet to ever have a problem with using a hoes or a pressure washer inside my engine bay on any car I have owned.
Agreed. Never cover anything, stay clear of the intake filter, and have at it. Never had issues

Quick Reply: Best way to clean the engine bay