Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best way to check for bad tie rod/draglink ends?

Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best way to check for bad tie rod/draglink ends?

I saw a mechanic put a pair of large channel lock pliers on the end of the tie rod and squeeze to check for play, is this a good way to check for play in tie rod and draglink ends?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
I saw a mechanic put a pair of large channel lock pliers on the end of the tie rod and squeeze to check for play, is this a good way to check for play in tie rod and draglink ends?
NO! Run as fast as you can from that shop! That is an old trick to make people think their rod ends are bad. They are ALL spring loaded vertically and can be compressed with large channellocks. Here's how you can do the job yourself. Get a friend to "rock" the steering wheel back and forth to the point JUST before it makes the wheels move. Get under the Jeep and look at all the rod ends. If you see any slack of movement where the drag link and tie rod bolt to the rest of the linkage, you have a suspect. If not, you're fine. All this can be done without the Jeep running and the tires on the ground. Remember, the load on rod ends is not verticle, but lateral. It's this side to side movement you're looking for.....or NOT looking for. LOL

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 03-14-2009 at 06:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (07-12-2018)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

None of the manufactures approve this method. You can always get them to move with pliers, even brand new ones. Apparantly this mechanic does not know how tie rod ends or drag link ends are made. They have a coiled spring below them that puts pressure towards the nut end. Worked in the automotive industry for over 40 years and this is a method dishonest mechanics and shops sell unneeded parts to the public. Best method and approved method is to use about 40 lbs. push and pull on them to see if they go in and out. This spring is stronger than that if a good spring. As to end play, someone needs to look at the ball joint as you wiggle the wheels back and forth with the wheels on the ground so you have resisitance.
The following users liked this post:
OnBelay (07-12-2018)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
NO! Run as fast as you can from that shop! That is an old trick to make people think their rod ends are bad. They are ALL spring loaded vertically and can be compressed with large channellocks. Here's how you can do the job yourself. Get a friend to "rock" the steering wheel back and forth to the point JUST before it makes the wheels move. Get under the Jeep and look at all the rod ends. If you see and slack of movement where the drag link and tie rod bolt to the rest of the linkage, you have a suspect. If not, you're fine. All this can be done without the Jeep running and the tires on the ground. Remember, the load on rod ends is not verticle, but lateral. It's this side to side movement you're looking for.....or NOT looking for. LOL
Thanks. I was worried cause I tried channel locks on mine and they compressed a little. So I am looking for movement, should I be feeling the ends by hand to while this is done? I guess there is no way to check solo?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jeep08ham
None of the manufactures approve this method. You can always get them to move with pliers, even brand new ones. Apparantly this mechanic does not know how tie rod ends or drag link ends are made. They have a coiled spring below them that puts pressure towards the nut end. Worked in the automotive industry for over 40 years and this is a method dishonest mechanics and shops sell unneeded parts to the public. Best method and approved method is to use about 40 lbs. push and pull on them to see if they go in and out. This spring is stronger than that if a good spring. As to end play, someone needs to look at the ball joint as you wiggle the wheels back and forth with the wheels on the ground so you have resisitance.
What do you use to apply 40 pounds of push on them and in what way?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks. I was worried cause I tried channel locks on mine and they compressed a little. So I am looking for movement, should I be feeling the ends by hand to while this is done? I guess there is no way to check solo?
Yes, you can check it solo, but it's better to do it in the manner I described, because all of the normal forces are at work, and you might not catch something solo that would otherwise show up. If you're by yourself.....support the front axle on jack stands. Grasp the front tires, one at the time and "rock" them in and out as if trying to make each one turn in and out. Look at all of the rod ends and see if there is side to side play. You should not have to use your hand on the joints, but you can if you wish. If there is any lateral movement, by all means you have a bad joint because you are only using your hands to move the tires. It is much more accurate with a partner, though.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi

Yes, you can check it solo, but it's better to do it in the manner I described, because all of the normal forces are at work, and you might not catch something solo that would otherwise show up. If you're by yourself.....support the front axle on jack stands. Grasp the front tires, one at the time and "rock" them in and out as if trying to make each one turn in and out. Look at all of the rod ends and see if there is side to side play. You should not have to use your hand on the joints, but you can if you wish. If there is any lateral movement, by all means you have a bad joint because you are only using your hands to move the tires. It is much more accurate with a partner, though.
Thanks, so even with the wheels off the ground side to side play will show up?
Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks, so even with the wheels off the ground side to side play will show up?
Absolutely. You just need to be more careful with your diagnosis since there's no weight on the suspension. Nonetheless, ANY movement between the rod ends and whatever they are bolted to and they are no go.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Absolutely. You just need to be more careful with your diagnosis since there's no weight on the suspension. Nonetheless, ANY movement between the rod ends and whatever they are bolted to and they are no go.
Thank you kindly sir.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

Thank you kindly sir.
No problem. I sent you a PM. Give me a holler if you want.

Quick Reply: Best way to check for bad tie rod/draglink ends?