Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Best On-Off Road Tire close to stock 255 75R17?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedJupiter

I think you are dating yourself. Can you even buy retreads anymore?
These are retreads that look less like retreads.

https://www.treadwright.com/p-118-31...m-t-b2b-d.aspx
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Goodyear Silent Armor LT275/70R17

I have the Goodyear Silent Armor LT275/70R17 and recommend them highly.

They are only about 4 pounds heavier than the Rubicon take-offs (LT255/75R17), about 0.8 inches wider, and just a hair taller in diameter. They can be used on the stock (offset) rims for those of us that want a narrow track without rubbing at full flex (just barely).

They float well on sand, and have held up well to sharp rocks against the side walls. The wet/snow/winter driving is good (mountain-snowflake rated). Very low noise. Traction on slick surfaces like dry waterfalls is good. Rather than big cleats, these get traction from lots of siping and small edges that grab. Only about 6K miles on mine, so can't comment on how well they wear yet. 35 PSI on the road, ~20 PSI off-road.

Last edited by Mr.T; 03-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I have the Goodyear Silent Armor LT275/70R17 and recommend them highly.

They are only about 4 pounds heavier than the Rubicon take-offs (LT255/75R17), about 0.8 inches wider, and just a hair taller in diameter. They can be used on the stock (offset) rims for those of us that want a narrow track without rubbing at full flex (just barely).

They float well on sand, and have held up well to sharp rocks against the side walls. The wet/snow/winter driving is good (mountain-snowflake rated). Very low noise. Traction on slick surfaces like dry waterfalls is good. Rather than big cleats, these get traction from lots of siping and small edges that grab. Only about 6K miles on mine, so can't comment on how well they wear yet. 35 PSI on the road, ~20 PSI off-road.
For some reason Tire Rack does not list that size. But Discount Tire Direct does, without measurements. Where did you get the measurements?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
For some reason Tire Rack does not list that size. But Discount Tire Direct does, without measurements. Where did you get the measurements?
From Goodyear: Wrangler SilentArmor Tires | Goodyear Tires -There's a link to view specs on the left, about mid page.

LT275/70R17
Section Width = 11.0"
Diameter = 32.2"
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
From Goodyear: Wrangler SilentArmor Tires | Goodyear Tires -There's a link to view specs on the left, about mid page.

LT275/70R17
Section Width = 11.0"
Diameter = 32.2"

i am probably going to go with these; they have an $80 rebate that goes up to $160 if you get a firestone credit card.

i applied, and am going to use the card 1x only, just for these tires. the apr is 28%!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put the DuraTrac 265/70R17 on mine. It's a great tire, I love how it performs. Sure, it's a great snow tire. That does me a whole lot of good here in Louisiana. But it's also a great tire in the rain. I've had no problems at all with hydroplaning and it's got excellent wet traction. As for mud, it handles just fine as long as you stay on top of it. If you bury a wheel though, I wouldn't count on it being able to dig you out.
I just wish it came in the stock size. Yes, it looks a little taller. But when it's mounted and the Jeep is sitting on it, it comes out to right about 0.3" shorter than the stock SR/A (aside from some rubi rails my jeep is fairly stock, so I went to the dealer and got some measurements on new SR/As). This is enough to offset the speedometer by a couple of mph at highway speeds. If you're OCD, you'll want to pick up a programmer to correct your speedometer.

If I'd known about it at the time, I'd have most likely gone with the Nitto Trail Grappler. It's not quite as good in the wet from what I hear, but it's better in the mud, has tougher sidewalls, and comes in the factory size.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by rbrutzman
i am probably going to go with these; they have an $80 rebate that goes up to $160 if you get a firestone credit card.

i applied, and am going to use the card 1x only, just for these tires. the apr is 28%!
Good deal, just pay off when the bill comes. Took advantage of a similar last year
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

hell ya. first thing i do when the tires go on is put that card to the sword.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Krynn
I put the DuraTrac 265/70R17 on mine. It's a great tire, I love how it performs. Sure, it's a great snow tire. That does me a whole lot of good here in Louisiana. But it's also a great tire in the rain. I've had no problems at all with hydroplaning and it's got excellent wet traction. As for mud, it handles just fine as long as you stay on top of it. If you bury a wheel though, I wouldn't count on it being able to dig you out.
I just wish it came in the stock size. Yes, it looks a little taller. But when it's mounted and the Jeep is sitting on it, it comes out to right about 0.3" shorter than the stock SR/A (aside from some rubi rails my jeep is fairly stock, so I went to the dealer and got some measurements on new SR/As). This is enough to offset the speedometer by a couple of mph at highway speeds. If you're OCD, you'll want to pick up a programmer to correct your speedometer.

If I'd known about it at the time, I'd have most likely gone with the Nitto Trail Grappler. It's not quite as good in the wet from what I hear, but it's better in the mud, has tougher sidewalls, and comes in the factory size.
I think the Trail Grappler is where I am headed in the end. Strange that when you go on the Nitto web site, in spite of the fact that they come in the original equipment size, it is not listed as an option when you enter a 2012 Wrangler Sport with the 17" wheel. But the right size is listed when you look at the full table.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with 267/70-17 tires when I replaced the 255s. There is a huge selection of tires and the size is so close I can't tell the difference. Found load range C Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires at Wally World for $170 each. They look good on my Unlimited with 2" lift.

Quick Reply: Best On-Off Road Tire close to stock 255 75R17?