Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bent front axle, what next?

Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent front axle, what next?

Went in to get aligned and the axles bent. Got the wheels rotated and i guess its been that way for a while and now i get death wobble after rotation. So un-did the rotation but now my expensive KM2s are trashed and i dont want to do the same to another pair till i fix the axle.

What all do i need to know to get this fixed? what is exactly bent? the housing? the shafts? can i put the same shafts in a new housing? What parts do i need to buy? should i upgrade to a dana 44/60?

Im fairly clueless on the subject. I did a search on quadratec just to see whats there and a new dana 44 is aroudn $2500... really wishing i hadn't bought my hardtop a few months ago...
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eraujk
Went in to get aligned and the axles bent. Got the wheels rotated and i guess its been that way for a while and now i get death wobble after rotation. So un-did the rotation but now my expensive KM2s are trashed and i dont want to do the same to another pair till i fix the axle.

What all do i need to know to get this fixed? what is exactly bent? the housing? the shafts? can i put the same shafts in a new housing? What parts do i need to buy? should i upgrade to a dana 44/60?

Im fairly clueless on the subject. I did a search on quadratec just to see whats there and a new dana 44 is aroudn $2500... really wishing i hadn't bought my hardtop a few months ago...
Can't fix a bent axle. Offset balljoints may help.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have Dana 30. How do you think you bent them?
Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy bent the rear axle on his FJ cruiser. The repair shop put a jack under the rear diff and lifted the back end off the ground, started the truck, and put it in gear. We watched the tires rotate and he showed us that the tire was not wobbling as it rotated so he could just get a new axle housing to fix it. He said that if the axle itself was bent the tire would wobble as it spun.

Not sure if this helps in your case but my buddy ended up doing what the guy said and just buying a housing and replacing all the internals from the old one into it.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Ask the shop if it is the shaft or the housing, but I am guessing it's the housing or the C's. If it is the C's, some offset balljoints will get your camber fixed up. (you should add gussets as well). If it is the housing, it will depend. A slight bend, some offsets may work. A worse bend, you will need to get the housing straightened or replaced. 5-6 hours of labor should cover the straightening, depending on how bad. But at that point, you are better off with a new housing. I think the d30 is somewhere around $800, and the D44 is around $950.

Are the gears still in good shape? If so, they can go in the new housing, along with the other axle shafts and the ends.

Or look for a cheap take-off from someone that upgraded to a PR44.

Or just move to a PR yourself.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Save your money for a PR 44. I wouldn't spend a dime on OEM 30's or 44's.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

I have a Dana 30 now with 35s. I go out often and do as much as i can but by what i consider hard or rough i haven't done the worst yet so im not sure where or how i bent it.

With the PR44 or a Dana 44 would i be able to use the shafts and internals from my dana 30? or will i have to buy all new stufff to go along with it?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

The only thing you can use off a Dana 30 is the knuckles, unit bearings and rotors.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you really can't get any meaningful advice without an accurate description of the damage. The phrase ''bent axle '' can mean several different things....It can mean the alignment guy doesn't have a clue how to align the jeep, or doesn't really know what's wrong. A bent knuckle could be the problem, bent centerlink, pitman arm, the box splines could be twisted. As peviously stated the ''c's'' could be bent, or an axle tube, or the axle shaft flanges themselves. Are the front wheels negative (in at the top), positive(out at the top)? Is the wheelbase equal on both sides? Is the steering wheel centered? Is the Jeep sitting at equal heights left and right? A bent tube can be staightened, a bent cast iron part (other than the C's) cannot.( and be safe) Does the jeep track straight, or wander left to right? Does it pull to one side or the other? As you can see, there are many questions to be answered before the term ''bent axle'' can really be applied....Best of Luck!

Last edited by TINMAN080; 01-23-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Bent front axle, what next?