Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler

Old 10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more possibility, although this may be a stretch - I had an older Chevy van that had a serious moisture problem and mold got into the heater system and every time I would drive the van even a short distance I would feel flu-like symptoms for several hours after-wards. Once I realized what was causing it the van was sent to the wreckers.

If it is not CO poisoning, then consider that the Jeep may have gotten wet or something before you purchased it and there may be mold in the heater. But, this would happen eny time you used the heater or vents regardless of top up or down.

Like I said, a stretch, but just tossing it out there.

It sounds to me too like CO being drawn back into the cabin.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Freak

As a final NOT recommended way to prove the CO poisoning, we used to test for methoxyhemoglobin in the ER when indigent people tried to heat their homes with portable charcoal grills in severe cold weather (please don't try this as they didn't all make it!). If your symptoms return get thee to an ER and beg for a methoxyhemoglobin level to be done.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know on my YJ (softtop) the manual says to not drive with just the rear window open, that it should only be run with all 3 rear windows unzipped.

Never had any issues with my 2009 JKU, I run top (HT) off all summer.

Pat
Old 10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

I've never heard of a CO2 problem with any Wrangler that didn't have a leaking exhaust - and yours should be too new for that. Take it in to the dealer and see if there's an exhaust leak (which you should be able to hear if there is) and get it fixed if there is a problem. Then................ stop calling it a car.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:54 PM
JK Newbie

Get a CO detector that gives you PPM rates, not just a binary warning. That way you can trace the source by playing Marco Polo ...

When i swapped out the factory exhaust with MBRP off-road, i was taking no chances. Came out clean before and after.

Last edited by alim10004; 10-31-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Looks like he got it fixed - sort of

At least I think this is the same guy, both in KY and the same problem

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ad.php?t=11848
Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by itasor
Do you have your windows rolled down? That helps push out any of the exhaust fumes that come inside from the back draft.
The OP wrote it's when the top is down
Old 11-18-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it cant be from the exhaust unless you are sucking on the tailpipe ..... some people have a bad reaction to new carpets, plastics, paint, ect-ect i cant figure-out why with the top down i thing you are suffering from sticker shock

Quick Reply: Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler