Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler

Old 10-22-2009, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that new car smell makes my wife sick. I dont think that is the case with you.
Does this occur when:

1. Heat is off, Top is down?
2. Heat is on, top us up?

Could this be just some kind of motion sickness or do you actually smell something that makes you nautious?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Former Member

I think its pretty funny that he gets nauseous while driving and blames it on the Jeep.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

i hope you get 'er figured out there, this is a e-nigma,

how much did you drink that night??
Old 10-22-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Ethylene Glycol can cause similar symptoms.
But only when ingested. He'd have to snort copious quantities of vapour to have those effects. I've got another one for you to ponder.....could you simply be getting car sick? When the top's down, there's quite an assult on the senses. Add the air buffeting around you and into your ears as well as the smell of a new heater core?!? Ya, I know I'm stretching here but it was the first thing that ran through my mind.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

I believe that inhaling ethylene glycol vapors can have the same effect. In fact I think one would absorb it quicker by vapor then by ingestion. I does not take much liquid to make a lot of vapor and a leaking heater core can put a lot of vapor through the vents.

I know that my symptoms went away after I changed the heater core out. And the symptoms were a little like being car sick. I just wanted to throw it out there as an option. The OP might want to turn the heater on to defrost on a cold (preferable damp morning), without the AC and see if the widows tend to fog around the vents….
Old 10-22-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

From the i-net:

Inhaled poisoning of ethylene glycol usually only occurs when the liquid is heated because at room temperature very little of this liquid vaporizes. It is typically odorless, but when burned gives of acrid and irritant fumes. Chronic very high inhaled exposure has been shown to cause involuntary rapid eye movements, and short losses of consciousness. Typically repeated exposures to the irritant fumes cause eye irritation, headache, throat irritation, and cough. In an investigation where twenty prisoners were accidentally exposed to daily concentrations of 1-26 PPM of aerosolized ethylene glycol their blood levels were detectable, but serious signs of ethylene glycol intoxication were absent. Pharyngeal irritation was common. Headache and low backache were reported occasionally.
Although there aren''t any human trials on the effect of C2H6O2, there does seem to be some suggestion that prolonged inhalation can cause similar effects. Frankly I'm not certain that in an open Jeep, you'd be getting that amount of dosage but if you have the heater blowing on you, it might be. Have you checked your coolant level?? If its only vaporizing, it wont go down quickly but it will go down!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

Has anyone asked how many beers you had before you get in and drop the top in the winter and need to run the heat? Yep it's the beers!
Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

KYJeeper, What have you found out?????
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem in my 1980 CJ7. I had all the doors on and soft top up with the rear widow open. Exhaust was coming out the tail pipe right into the cabin. I had almost passed out and ran off the road going less than 25 MPH. It scared the heck out of me.

This leads me to this:

People with pickup trucks and sport utes with rear windows that roll down:
People with vans and minivans that carry big loads and have the rear doors/hatches open:

OPEN THE FRONT WINDOWS AND TURN VENTS ON HIGH! You do not wanna screw around with passing out at the wheel. It happened so suddenly with me. My experience could have been a lot worse.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

i second the motion sickness ( i have the same problem). I also have vertigo caused by head trauma from an ied blast. everytime i am standing still and something is moving i feel an urge to vomit (ie. postion of attention on bct graduation day and the phase banner flappin in the wind right next to me).

maybe you have something similar?

Quick Reply: Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler