Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler

Old 10-20-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_steve
i don't know about c02 but i live on a dusty dirt road and with the top down traveling at any speed i get more dust on the inside of the jeep then the out.
It just seams to make a like a suction and brings everything up to the front of the jeep.
Sometimes i need wipers on the instde of the windshield more then the out :d
this proves my point on the exuast gas .
Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkman77
i own two jeeps and when i have the back open and top on[ soft top with windows unzipped] i get a strong exhuast smell. This is caused from the low air pressure directly behind the tailgate sucking the exhuast gas inside. If i have the whole top off i do not get the strong exuast smell due to the air flow thru the inside and out the back creating higher air pressure inside then the air directy behind tailgate blowing exuast away from interior.
X2 on this.

I painted the muffler with high temp paint that wasn't.
For most of the summer, I had the smell of burning paint in the jeep when I had the top 1/2 down and the rear window unzipped.

I vote for paint/oils burning on the muffler. The exhaust is directed down, but any fumes from the muffler itself can easily be drawn in. You may also want to make sure nothing is contacting the muffler or tailpipe under the jeep.

It would be hard to get CO poisoning in an open air environment as with the top down.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Sounds very much like CO poisoning. Do you have your soft top on and when you ride with the top 1/2 open do you have the side windows off? A low pressure center is formed inside the jeep at speed that draws exhaust fumes (potential CO) into the cabin and I would guess you are getting enough to cause the nausea and dizziness, (next stage is unconsciousness). Take off the side curtains or carry an injection of methylene blue (JOKING!), but this is serious. There are already too many unconscious drivers on the road!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

I use the heat when I have my top/doors off when the temp drops at night sometimes and I need to get home. Done it a million times and never felt sick from it.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JEEP is probably just trying to kill you for calling it a CAR!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

i betting your running windows up. I could see how you could get that with windows up
Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default CO Monitor

Hey,

Thanks to everyone for your input. I bought a CO monitor. So far, it has only registered a low reading. But, I haven't had the opportunity to really test it out. I should be able to try a few different scenarios tonight and tomorrow. I'll post what I find then.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Stick to your guns on this one with the dealership. CO poisoning is extremely serious and no you do not have to be in an enclosed environment to feel the effects. CO will bond with the deoxyhemoglobin in the blood and prevent O2 bonding. I would request a complete exhaust inspection first off. If you tell your service manager that you suspect CO poisoning due to the signs and symptoms you have observed, I'm sure he'll rush to look at it thoroughly. Nothing like the potential threat of a lawsuit should anything happen.

From what you are saying this only happens when you have the top down and heater on correct? Does it happen with the top up and heater on? Does it happen with the top down and heater off? These alone should be good clues as to the potential origin of a problem.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Seems hard to believe you can get a buildup of CO with the top down.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Default Toxic New Car Smell

So,

The dealer found nothing wrong with my car yesterday. He told me to take it in the following morning and that we would take a ride together and see if we would both get sick.

I went out last night and purchased a Carbon Monoxide detector. I took readings in several different conditions (top down, top up, heat on, heat off, highway driving, or street driving) and didn't find anything substantial. I am going to continue to keep the device in my car and see if anything changes during the next week.

This morning, I showed up at the dealer ( a different one form where I purchased the vehicle) and took a 15 minute drive with the service manager. I felt a little sick and he said he didn't feel anything. Obviously, he could have just lied, but I didn't get that impression.Of course, the CO monitor read zero the entire trip.

He suggested that I might be allergic to the chemicals that emit the "new car smell." I did a little research and appearantly it is fairly common. I am going to buy an ionic air purifier from Brookstone today as was suggested in this CNN article (http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...aa.toxic.cars/) and see if that alleviates the problem.

As for having the top down and feeling sicker than when up, I belive it was because I have also had the heat on the full setting directed at my face. Perhaps the heater was blowing a toxin from the plastic dash and causing me not to breathe in enough fresh air.

This is the best explanation I have come up with. If, when I find out more, I will post.

Thanks again for your help.

Also, I just thought I would mention that the Jeep Wrangler recieved the highest ranking by Healthstuff.org among all SUVs of 2009. Here is the url to the article (http://press.healthystuff.org/depart...tworstcars.php) and here is the url to the specific vehicle summary (http://press.healthystuff.org/depart...getrecno=11445).

Quick Reply: Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler