Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler

Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler

I've posted this question in two other forums, but wanted to get some input from this site.

I just bought a new 2010 Wrangler Sport last week. Since then, I have put about 1000 miles on it. When the top is up, the car runs great and is fun to drive.

However, when the top is down, I have a really weird and potentially haszardous problem. With the top down and the heat on, I become extremely dizzy. Yesterday, I tripped over myself and wanted to puke when I got out of my car. It has happened a few times now. I took it to the dealer once, and I was told that there were some stickers/tags and coating oil still left on the exhaust that was causing the problem. They wiped down the exhaust and removed the stickers. Well, it is a week later and I am still having this problem. I took the car to another dealer this morning and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I was thinking of looking into the State's lemon laws if the problem can not be fixed. Though, the last thing I want to do is sue Jeep - I am a loyal Jeep owner and planned to keep this one for life!
Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

A new jeep is kinda like a new wife, fun as hell to ride but when you realize what you have done it almost makes you sick.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Sounds like turbulence behind the Jeep is drawing exhaust forward and into the cavity behind the windshield. I haven't heard anyone else mention a problem like that.
Only with the top down and the heat on?
So, are you saying it doesn't happen with the top down, and the heat OFF?
Does it happen only at certain speeds?

Is the top ALL the way down? I don't have a soft top, but the ones I have seen, the top almost disappears into the tub.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-20-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

sounds like your having a CO problem. some how carbon Monoxide is getting in side your jeep could be a back draft from the tail pipe or a leak under your truck idk but deffinatly not a good thing
Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 09jaykay
sounds like your having a CO problem. ...
Carry a carbon monoxide detector and see if it trips off. That's hard data that may come in handy to keep the dealer convinced that the problem is real and requires immediate repair.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:58 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

how about placing a carbon monoxide detector on the dash or on your lap next time and see if it triggers
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by MFX
how about placing a carbon monoxide detector on the dash or on your lap next time and see if it triggers
Hah--I beat you!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KYJeeper
With the top down and the heat on, I become extremely dizzy.
x2 on the CO detector.

Try running with the top down but no heat on. Isolate whether it's coming through the heater ducts or from outside.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KYJeeper
I took the CAR to another dealer this morning and am waiting for them to get back to me.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I was thinking of looking into the State's lemon laws if the problem can not be fixed. Though, the last thing I want to do is sue Jeep - I am a loyal Jeep owner and planned to keep this one for life!
oh, no poor kitty, another one dead!!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Don't play around with that.

Quick Reply: Being Suffocated in my 2010 Wrangler