Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battling dry start-up by holding down gas pedal...is this bad?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
You are thinking in the right direction. Sitting with the key on does absolutely nothing toward getting oil into the places it needs to be.
Amen!! brotha. thank you. I love this forum but sometimes i think that people just don't know what they're talking about and just want to comment on every thing here. damn.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Different things seem to work for different people. Changing the oil filter or switching to a different oil helps for some people, but not for others. All I know it that when I tried starting the Jeep today (like Red Belly suggested) it did not make the start-up noise. Maybe it was just a fluke but it was still nice not hearing it for a change.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone installed a oil-filter relocation kit to get the filter vertical?

Or is there a good reason not to do so.....?

for example google:

JK Derale Oil Filter Relocation Kit
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

When you just turn the key to "On/Run" you're right, it does nothing for the oil pump. What it does do is primes the engine with fuel. Maybe some of you are getting a knock from a lean condition, so when it is primed properly the sypmtoms go away? Too early to think straight right now, but sounds plausible to me.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodturner
When you just turn the key to "On/Run" you're right, it does nothing for the oil pump. What it does do is primes the engine with fuel. Maybe some of you are getting a knock from a lean condition, so when it is primed properly the sypmtoms go away? Too early to think straight right now, but sounds plausible to me.
Could be, I guess. But I don't think the injectors start spraying until the computer sees crankshaft rotation.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Here's a silly thought... Maybe by turning the system to ON/RUN before cranking it over in a way "primes" the computer system on the vehicle. You know kinda like when you go to open up your laptop, computer, game system, whatever, first it has to take a few seconds to boot up the system before you can use it. Maybe by trying to crank things over too fast, it's somehow not getting the information it needs to start up properly in sequence, like some element of the start-up is being thrown off, bybassed or whatever. I know it sounds kinda dumb.....I don't know if it's even plausible, but just a thought I had.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not calling you out, just letting you know that computers in vehicles use an R.T.O.S. Real time operating system, unlike what is in your laptop. they are designed to avoid the issues you are suggesting with startup lag, glitches, and all the good stuff. they don't have to boot up or anything, I'm not a computer guru by any means, but a good friend of mine is and we had a similar conversation a few years back about engine mods, current computers and how much they really learn when you start modding with out flashing supporting tunes. So that's how I found out about the real time operating system that engines have.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by efan450
I'm not calling you out, just letting you know that computers in vehicles use an R.T.O.S. Real time operating system, unlike what is in your laptop. they are designed to avoid the issues you are suggesting with startup lag, glitches, and all the good stuff. they don't have to boot up or anything, I'm not a computer guru by any means, but a good friend of mine is and we had a similar conversation a few years back about engine mods, current computers and how much they really learn when you start modding with out flashing supporting tunes. So that's how I found out about the real time operating system that engines have.
That's interesting! Thanks. To be honest, I don't know much about computers...even less about vehicle computer systems. Just trying to get to the bottom of this annoying start-up issue. However, I have had the computer systems on other vehicles I've owned go all haywire and act up rather wierd when the battery was low on power. I don't think the R.T.O.S. is perfect either. It can get messed up like anything else I imagine. I know it doesn't calculate my mileage properly.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 01-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all your inputs guys...really appreciate it. I'm thinking about changing the oil filter on on my next oil change to see if it solves the annoying knock. As for now, i will keep stepping on gas for a couple crank just to get oil up there as the ON/Run key thingy doesn't work for me. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Well... So far, for the last few days of extremely cold start-ups, I have not heard any lifter noise using the start-up method described earlier. I just turn the ignition to ON/RUN, but wait till all the lights go out and the chimes go away before fully cranking over. Seems to be working for me.
I don't know if the "knock" experienced by some people is the same as the lifter noise experienced by others like myself though.

Quick Reply: Battling dry start-up by holding down gas pedal...is this bad?