Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the question, I believe that most winters can bring -10 to -15 with occasionally dropping ever lower.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that block heaters are mandatory in Canada but I'm not sure, any how, i can't seem to find my plug in cord.

Anyone have a pic of where the cord is, because i can't find it.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's in a little bundle right in front of the fuse box. Hey...have fun this weekend at McLean, Lahal. I'm still in Edmonchuk, otherwise I'd be there too!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Block heaters are essential in Winnipeg!
I'll second that. Never needed to use a battery blanket though. I've heard they actually lower the life expectancy of the battery by overheating the chemicals inside the battery?

Besides, if it doesn't start right away in -35C and you flood the engine cranking it enough to wear down the battery. It wasn't gonna start anyhow.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The block heater was nice when it was 30F below, but I left the JK unplugged a number of nights when it hit -20 and never had any problems starting. The remote start got much more use, good of harmful, warming up at -30 is a nice thing.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had remote starters in my last 3 vehicles before I bought my Jeep. Although it was nice to jump into a warm vehicle, I did spend a lot of $$ on gas to do so. I'm going to see how the winter goes just by starting it and rolling after a minute.

Plus, it's nice to be able to throw my keys in my pocket without a monster key-fob
Old 10-10-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WitchKing
I've had remote starters in my last 3 vehicles before I bought my Jeep. Although it was nice to jump into a warm vehicle, I did spend a lot of $$ on gas to do so. I'm going to see how the winter goes just by starting it and rolling after a minute.

Plus, it's nice to be able to throw my keys in my pocket without a monster key-fob
The JK warms up quickly, 5 minutes at -20F you have plenty of heat. Costs a few mpg's over the course of the winter, but it really was not more then a couple bucks a week.

The factory remote comes on the same size key as any other JK, no fob needed.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yetibear
The JK warms up quickly, 5 minutes at -20F you have plenty of heat. Costs a few mpg's over the course of the winter, but it really was not more then a couple bucks a week.

The factory remote comes on the same size key as any other JK, no fob needed.
yes...but those keys are expensive! My salesman told me a replacement would cost ~$135 CDN (my current key doesn't have a starter button). What's the range of the factory key?

(my apologies for the thread-jack)
Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess they are expensive, I don't know, the Jeep comes with 2, and I bought 2 more of the rock keys for warm weather use, so that should hold me for a while.

The range is pretty good, in my experience. I can park pretty far back in the Shaw's parking lot and start it as I leave the check out counter. So 50 yards of parking lot, from inside, gives a pretty fair range, I guess. At home I don't know, it is 6 feet from front door to Jeep door, at that distance it also works fine.

Quick Reply: Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater