Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater

Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added the mopar engine block heater this past week. I live in the Chicago area and I added it because our winters are getting worse. Plus this will help with warming and efficiency during the cold winter months.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this good to have if your garage is not heated? Any write ups on how to install?
Old 09-20-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Junkie

I grew up in Minnesota, lived in Montana for 5 years, Idaho, and am now in Iowa, and I can tell you it gets colder in Minnesota and Iowa than it will in Wyoming for prolonged periods of time. You will be just fine without the engine block heater, and without the battery blanket. You may want to look into the remote start because that would be nice for the cold mornings so you don't need to go out to warm it up before you get in.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I grew up in Minnesota, lived in Montana for 5 years, Idaho, and am now in Iowa, and I can tell you it gets colder in Minnesota and Iowa than it will in Wyoming for prolonged periods of time. You will be just fine without the engine block heater, and without the battery blanket. You may want to look into the remote start because that would be nice for the cold mornings so you don't need to go out to warm it up before you get in.
Like I said, a block heater is nice to have, and not needed, but having one is not bad for the engine. A remote starter is also nice to have, but it IS bad for the engine. I guess that doesn't matter with the "lifetime warranty" though.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Like I said, a block heater is nice to have, and not needed, but having one is not bad for the engine. A remote starter is also nice to have, but it IS bad for the engine. I guess that doesn't matter with the "lifetime warranty" though.
Yeah I was always told that you are supposed to start it right up and drive off and not let it "warm up" as this was somehow bad for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats weird b/c ive always been told the exact op. even though i usually just start her up and go. but have heard its better to let it sit for a few min then go. i dunno
Old 09-21-2008, 03:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JdTms11
thats weird b/c ive always been told the exact op. even though i usually just start her up and go. but have heard its better to let it sit for a few min then go. i dunno
Yes, it's best to let it idle for a minute or so to let the oil circulate before putting a load on it.

Originally Posted by SONIC
Okay someone explain this warming up is bad thing????????
Letting it idle to warm up is nice for the driver and passengers, but it comes at a cost.
It takes longer to warm up, so it is running rich for a longer period, which washes the cylinder walls and allows gas to get past the rings into the crank case. When idling with cold oil, less oil is splashed onto the bottoms of the pistons, reducing the amount of oil getting to the cylinder walls.
There are more reasons to start and go. Do a search.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Jedi

So the best thing is to idle for a minute and then drive off? So you are saying driving right of is bad and idling for a long time is also bad?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The block heater is standard equipment on our Canadian JK's.

You would only need to use the block heater is you anticipate overnights less than 0 F, and even then only 2-3 hours before the start is useful. If you leave it plugged in all night it is really just a waste of energy.

I have learned a few things living in and around Winnipeg, MB! (-25F January)
Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
So the best thing is to idle for a minute and then drive off? So you are saying driving right of is bad and idling for a long time is also bad?
Yes. I was clear on both points, with reasons why.

Quick Reply: Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater