Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater

Old 09-19-2008, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater

I have a Southern Nevada JK that is moving to Northern Wyoming this winter. It is not equiped with a engine block heater; while checking out Mopar for products; I also found a battery warmer offered. I do not have any experience with this product, is it a benefit to those of you in cold climates? The JK will be stored outside until a garage is built, I know I need the engine block heater but what about the battery warmer?

Thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Just how cold on average does it get in N. Wyoming?
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Living up here in Edmonton, AB Canada, and we get some pretty cool temperatures (-30C/-22F and colder). A block heater is essential.
If the vehicle was going to be exposed to a lot of wind and extreme cold for any extended periods, I might consider using a battery blanket as well.

Looking at the avg temperatures here, I think you'll be fine with just a block heater

Last edited by tuber; 09-19-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

block heater is a must......I would not worry about a battery blanket. Just remember to look at your battery every few weeks to ensure the battery connections do not have corrosion from the winter road salt and junk.

I have never used a battery blanket and I lived in Edmonton, Calgary, Dawson Creek where I would see anywhere from -30 to -50C in a stretch (-50C in Dawson Creek) I have had no issues with starting my vehicles when the block heater has been plugged in and the vehicle sitting outside.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend that you also use synthetic oil if you do not already. It really helps the engine spin over much easier at those extreme temperatures.

That is my extra suggestion.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper 43
I have a Southern Nevada JK that is moving to Northern Wyoming this winter. It is not equiped with a engine block heater; while checking out Mopar for products; I also found a battery warmer offered. I do not have any experience with this product, is it a benefit to those of you in cold climates? The JK will be stored outside until a garage is built, I know I need the engine block heater but what about the battery warmer?

Thanks

Block and battery heaters are nice to have, but that's all they are. They are not "needed". There are lots of JK's starting well at 30F below zero.
My '88 Cherokee went through 14 winters under my ownership with no block or battery heater. No sign of ring/cylinder or bearing wear.
Nice to have, but don't install because you believe you need to.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Block and battery heaters are nice to have, but that's all they are. They are not "needed". There are lots of JK's starting well at 30F below zero.
My '88 Cherokee went through 14 winters under my ownership with no block or battery heater. No sign of ring/cylinder or bearing wear.
Agreed....My 99 TJ started without a hitch every day of winter and was never garaged. It had a block heater, but it was still wrapped up with the factory wire tie when I sold it. Never had a use for it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

there is 2 things i would do (1) have anti-freeze set for at least -30 (2) get a battery with a higher cold cranking amps those 2 things will save a lot of headach. and x2 on the synthetic oil i lived in up-state ny and often seen it warm up 20 degrees and still not hit 0
Old 09-20-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Block heaters are essential in Winnipeg!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

i goto school in the northeast and winter here is brutal, but i have left my jk in the lot for a week straight sometimes without driving it, w/ out a battery blanket or engine block heater, and i have never had any problems with it starting right up

Quick Reply: Battery Warmer & Engine Block Heater