Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery replacement

Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my two cents, I tossed this in: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...000%7CL3*15597

If it doesn't show, it's an Autocraft H7 850cca. I picked it up from Advanced Auto and did some magic...They offer a 25% off coupon and then some other discount to pick up in store. Had to do it online but ran down and picked it up for a more reasonable price than the MSRP. The H7 had 100 more CCA's than the 34 and it only takes removing a little plastic piece in the tray...You'll see it when you remove your old battery.

So far it's been fantastic.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Where should one look for the best price on the Odyssey?

Last edited by dmwil; 10-27-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to winching so help me out here. Do you winch with the engine running or not? If you do doesn't it run off the alt and not draw the batt down? I was reading this and am confused, as usual.

Which then interpolates to where that Deka battery should comparatively fall in performance. The Deka will be closer to the 300 ft range of pull similar to the Die Hard Gold battery, where the additional power/capacity of the Odyssey provided an additional 80ft of winch pull over the Deka in a real world use case comparison.

this is from Rednroll's post earlier in this thread.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paintm4u
I'm fairly new to winching so help me out here. Do you winch with the engine running or not? If you do doesn't it run off the alt and not draw the batt down? I was reading this and am confused, as usual.
I believe running a winch under load would draw more than the 160 Amps the alternator puts out. Your starting battery has 800 amp potential but only for a short time.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

at full load your winch will draw 400+ amps of power, your alt. only puts out 130ish amps at a set rpm. That is why you should use your winch with the engine running and at a higher RPM (high idle).
Dual battery systems (like genesis) work best for this type of situation as they separate the secondary battery from the engine starting battery.
I wouldn't worry about the 300ft vs 380ft battery vs battery to much. Most winches come with 100ft of cable but from my experience most people can be recovered with less than 30ft pull
Old 11-04-2017, 12:34 AM
JK Newbie

OK I understand now, thanks for all the info. I kind of thought the 300 foot pull would be a very long pull.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jchappies
at full load your winch will draw 400+ amps of power, your alt. only puts out 130ish amps at a set rpm. That is why you should use your winch with the engine running and at a higher RPM (high idle).
Dual battery systems (like genesis) work best for this type of situation as they separate the secondary battery from the engine starting battery.
I wouldn't worry about the 300ft vs 380ft battery vs battery to much. Most winches come with 100ft of cable but from my experience most people can be recovered with less than 30ft pull
Wow.....someone is totally missing the view of the forest by staring at a tree.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by paintm4u
OK I understand now, thanks for all the info. I kind of thought the 300 foot pull would be a very long pull.
The point of the 300 vs 380ft pull results has been totally misinterpreted by jchappies. No doubt most winches have 100ft of cable and most can be recovered with a 30ft pull.

The real question becomes after that 30ft or 100ft pull, how much power is left in each battery to do things like start your engine? The Odyssey was able to pull 382ft and after a 30ft pull would have 352ft of power left in it, and the DieHard Gold which is actually an East Penn/Deka battery pulled 295ft and therefore would have 265 ft of power left in the battery. So even after a 30ft pull, the Odyssey battery still has more power left stored in it, than what the Deka battery had at a full charge.

An even better way to look at it would be to say with the Odyssey battery it's "full charge" capacity=382ft of pull power and the Deka battery=295ft. So how much of it's full capacity charge have you used from each battery after a 30ft pull?

The numbers would look like this.
Odyssey= 352/382= 92%
Deka= 265/295= 89%
Full Charge Percentage difference=3%

So even after just a 30ft pull, the Odyssey battery is now still sitting at a higher full charge capacity percentage than the Deka and still higher at 352ft of pull capacity left than where the Deka started.

So let's do a 60ft pull and the number become.
Odyssey= 322/382= 85%
Deka= 235/295= 80%
Full Charge Percentage difference=5%

Even after a 60 ft of pull, the Odyssey is at 85% of full charge capacity, and the Deka is now at 80% Yet even after that 60ft pull, the Odyssey battery still has 322ft of power left stored in it, which is still higher than where the Deka battery started at when it was at a full capacity charge which was 295ft.

Ok, so jchappies pointed out winch lines are only 100ft long which is correct also, so let's run the numbers if we had done a 100ft full winch line pull.
Odyssey= 282/382= 74%
Deka= 195/295= 66%
Full Charge Percentage difference=8%

Notice how the percentage difference of the full charge is steadily increasing between the 2 batteries? 3%>5%>8%. Also notice that even after doing a 100ft pull, the Odyssey battery still has enough power stored in it to be able to do an additional 282ft pull which isn't that far behind of where the Deka battery originally started at a full charge which was 295ft.

So after doing that 100ft pull, which battery do you feel has enough power still left in it, to be able to start your Jeep? The one sitting at 74% of full charge capacity that could handle another 282ft of winch pull, or the one sitting at 66% of full charge capacity and could handle another 195ft of winch pull? Maybe both can, but logic says you're likely more confident with the higher numbers.

What we know for sure is that a battery that was able to pull 295ft at full Charge (The Deka) had enough power in it to start your Jeep. I'm sure even jchappies can agree with that. I'ld feel pretty confident in saying that the battery which still has enough energy stored in it, to be able to handle another 282ft of winch pull would also, since after pulling for 100ft, it is equivalent to the Deka battery that would have only done a 13ft pull. Maybe jchappies can confirm or not that his Deka battery can still handle starting his Jeep after a 13ft pull?

Hopefully, you're able to see the bigger picture. I'm not sure there's anything that will help jchappies, he seems to be focusing on a tree and looking at the numbers posted in a literal sense, by stating that we some how need a battery that is able to pull 382ft, and one that is only able to pull 295ft is not sufficient which is not what is being said at all.

These numbers likely explain, why he's determined he needs a dual battery setup because once that Deka battery is finished winching, he needs a backup to be able to rely on there being enough power to start the Jeep where even after an 85ft winch pull the Odyssey battery still has more power left in it, than a Deka battery at a full charge state. The numbers don't lie, if you know how to look at them in a useful manner.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-04-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by jchappies; 11-04-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Come on guys lets not sink to name calling, you kind of make it so we don't want to ask for help . I appreciate ALL the info. You know what they say, opinions are like assholes...everybody's got one and they're all different but you guys have done the research are obviously very knowledgeable about this subject. I think you guys are talking about two different subjects though, in a way, one is value and the other is technicals and quality, for lack of a better explanation. I had considered a dual battery set up as I ran one way back in the old days when batteries were not as advanced as they are now, but I now don't think I need that from Rednroll's info. The longest pull I've made in the last 3 years was about 50 feet and I had the Jeep running and no problems, so i think I have to go with the group 34 batt like Rednroll suggested, thanks for all the info both of you.

Quick Reply: Battery replacement