Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery light on dash

Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery light on dash

New Jeep owner - 2012 JKU sport stock - and a month ago I had turned my car off, turned it on a few hours later and it did not start and the solid red battery light showed on the dash. I tried to start it again and it took a little longer than usual but did start. A week later the same thing happened.

Since then I had the dealer check the battery and they said it tested fine, and to come back to get the alternator checked. Well I got injured and also wanted to make 100% sure I never left the lights on inside or out so never got it checked it out again.

Today I drove a few minutes on lunch break, turned the car off, and just turned on the electronics with the motor off and it beeped and the solid red battery light was on. I was able to turn the car back on no problems but am starting to get worried about this.

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I did read the stock batteries die out quickly and the Jeep is at 54K miles.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Yes, the stock batteries can suffer from a strange sudden death. That happened with my 2012 JKU at about 52,000 miles. I posted my experience on here. Even if it isn't your problem, you are on borrowed time with that battery. I would replace it with a quality aftermarket one. I bought the best battery Walmart has, which has higher cranking amps and a 3 yr replacement warranty.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot I'll pick one up tomorrow! Any recommendation for a 12 JKU?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDenver
yes. The Walmart battery has been just fine for me. Good warranty.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FutureDenver
No need to get fancy.
Look for physical size to fit, cranking amps, and length of warranty.
I prefer a battery that the water can be checked and topped up when needed.

Quick Reply: Battery light on dash