Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Battery failed in my '07 - just a word of caution.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery failed in my '07 - just a word of caution.

Just a word of caution for the '07 and '08 JK's... If they're still factory, it's probably a good idea to get your batteries load tested or consider replacing soon.

Yesterday after putting gas in my JK, it failed to start. Turned the key, and the dash went black. Let off the key, and some of the lights "sort of" lit up. Tried again, and got the same results.

Tried to jump it with two different vehicles, with two different sets of cables, and could not get anything more than a weak chatter or weak click out of the starter. At one point the relays in the fuse box were chattering. Things were a mess. Could not tell if it was all battery related, or computer or starter issues too.

Had a tow truck come, and thankfully got the Jeep started with one of those booster packs. No idea why jumping it wasn't working. We were hardly even getting a mild spark upon connections - and connections were legit.

I've probably had to replace a half dozen batteries over the years, and have never had one up and fail like this without some sort of warning. I knew I was due soon, but thought things were still holding up ok. Lesson learned on my part.......
Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. Got my 08 home from Florida and all is good, starting every time with no issues or even seeming like it was having problems. Go out the next day and got nothing at all, no starter clicks, nothing. Pulled the battery and laughed when I saw the 18 month Mopar sticker on the side, guess it did it's time. Funny part about it is that when I picked it up my friend said "wow, original battery still". I think he is to blame for pointing that out. Hahahaha.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

You should only expect to get 3-5 years out of a battery
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

My 08 also failed at about 30 months, just inside the initial warranty. But now that "new" mopar battery is probably getting close to needing it again.

Mine was not quite as drastic, you could jump start it fine, but it would not hold a charge and just need to be jumped again when you shut it off.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Good advice. Many times when they go, they don't always give warning..
Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Had my original battery give me a warning with an abnormal lazy start one morning 2 weeks ago and that's all it took to put in a new one.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RoubsX2
Had my original battery give me a warning with an abnormal lazy start one morning 2 weeks ago and that's all it took to put in a new one.
Thats a good idea.

I usually only get 3-5 out of a battery, with 35+C summers and 40-c winters batteries are put through their paces up here. And now with a winch I bet it will shorten life of my battery even further.

As soon as I have problems starting my vehicles I usually start by checking the battery myself or taking it in.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Mines at the 5 year mark...guess I should be thinking about replacing it proactively -
Old 06-05-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Newbie

Mine did the same thing. Everything was working fine one day. Woke up the next day tried to start it and nothing completely dead. Replaced the battery all is good.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

My factory battery crapped out after 3.5 years

Quick Reply: Battery failed in my '07 - just a word of caution.