Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

bas/esp/abs lights; 4wd won't work

Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bas/esp/abs lights; 4wd won't work

I recently had the BAS/ESP/ABS lights, along with the traction control symbol come on in my 09 Rubicon. In addition to that When I try to shift from 2wd to 4wd the shift lever is completely loose. I can shift it from 2wd to 4wd low positions anytime with no resistance. Almost like the computer just turned off my access to that function.

I took the jeep to my dealer and told them about the problem, bad right rear wheel speed sensor. great! plus they rotated my tires, did the 20k maintenance and changed my oil.

Picked it up and was running fine, then I remembered to check the 4wd, didn't work. now it has a sound of vibrating metal from the undercarriage when I drive about 10-15 MPH.

Took it back to the dealership today to set an appt. for tuesday and they said they've never seen anything like that before. They also said that it's not really that urgent because I don't really need 4wd here in Key West, I need it to sleep well at night.

anyone experience anything like the 4wd problem before?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the problems are not related,

Your 4x4 system is a mechanical actuated one, you move the shifter it engages the tcase into 2, 4hi or 4lo, for it not to work something has to be disconnected at the shifter or broken inside the tcase.

There have been problems with shifter cable popping off. You could probably crawl under the Jeep and try to move the tcase in and out of 2wd to confirm if the problem is with the shifter or the tcase.

I wouldn't drive it if its grinding since you could cause permanent damage to your tcase if its stuck between 2wd or 4wd
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

it's not grinding just vibrating and that isn't coming from the t-case i think the dealership did something when they rotated my tires. because it's coming from the front left area.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like the transfer case cable popper off.

Quick Reply: bas/esp/abs lights; 4wd won't work