Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Bare metal parts! Diff. cover, front axle componets... Rusting!!!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simon
If you will be getting a new diff cover, check out a past issue of JP magazine. It may have been 3 months ago. The main feature in that issue was "Differential cover shoot out". It showed which are the strongest.
Yeah, I remember that but can't remember which one was rated the toughest and I don't think the Poison Spyder Bombshell diff cover was included in the test was it?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Uhhhh, get a can of black spray paint, shake real good and spray. If it begins to look bad again , repeat.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you think you are being kind of silly to bring up such a trivial topic as rust on cast iron knuckles and the diff cover? Is this the first time you have ever looked under a vehicle? It would take probably something like 100 years for the diff cover to actually rust through and probably another 600 for the cast iron to rust away. If you don't like the rust then wire brush the components down and paint with rustoleum or use some undercoating.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Don't you think you are being kind of silly to bring up such a trivial topic as rust on cast iron knuckles and the diff cover? Is this the first time you have ever looked under a vehicle? It would take probably something like 100 years for the diff cover to actually rust through and probably another 600 for the cast iron to rust away. If you don't like the rust then wire brush the components down and paint with rustoleum or use some undercoating.

I agree.

Don't undercoat as you will void your rust warranty as water can set between the undercoat and steel of the Jeep body.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

If you do not do any off-roading and do not want to get a new diff, I would recommend the "Hammered" Rustoleum paint. It converts rust and looks great. Give it a shot. It also hides some imperfections.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I scuffed mine up a little and shot it with the BBQ paint I was using on the muffler. Looks good!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

I recall reading a posting where they had some problems painting the axles and axles covers in the factory. When from painting using robots to painting manually.

I have a 2010 Rubicon 9500 miles. The axles and axles covers have lost most of the paint and it is rusting. Planning to go to the dealer to see what they tell me.

Does anybody knows if there was a TBS for this.

I can not find the Posting.

Thank you.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a never ending ordeal when you own a Jeep!!!! I put mine on a lift and wire brush what I can reach and spray bomb everything with flat black rustoleum multiple times a year.......
It's a Jeep thing....
And I hate rust!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

It's kind of like mowing the lawn. The grass just keeps growing.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not leaking and the inside is as clean as a whistle I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Bare metal parts! Diff. cover, front axle componets... Rusting!!!