Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Ball Joints - Is this a reasonable request?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joints - Is this a reasonable request?

Stupid question so please pardon my ignorance on the subject.

I'm suspect that the ball joints on the front end of my Jeep may be going bad. My wife is taking it to the dealership tomorrow for them to replace a bad pinion seal.

I'm not sure what is involved when it comes to ball joints, but would my asking them to "check the ball joints on my front end for excessive wear" be a reasonable request to make while I have it at the dealership, or is this something rather difficult (time consuming) to visually check and see?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeepSky
Stupid question so please pardon my ignorance on the subject.

I'm suspect that the ball joints on the front end of my Jeep may be going bad. My wife is taking it to the dealership tomorrow for them to replace a bad pinion seal.

I'm not sure what is involved when it comes to ball joints, but would my asking them to "check the ball joints on my front end for excessive wear" be a reasonable request to make while I have it at the dealership, or is this something rather difficult (time consuming) to visually check and see?
A good mechanic can get your Jeep on a lift and tell by shaking the wheels.

If you suspect you have a problem have them check it. It's not an unreasonable request. And it gets it on record if an issue develops later.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by berg
A good mechanic can get your Jeep on a lift and tell by shaking the wheels.

If you suspect you have a problem have them check it. It's not an unreasonable request. And it gets it on record if an issue develops later.
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

it will already be on the lift it will take 2 min or less to check not unreasonable when its your safety at risk
Old 02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

Absolutely get them to check the balljoints out. This is a safety issue. Besides even if nothing is wrong, this will get put into your file in case you have problems later on.

Quick Reply: Ball Joints - Is this a reasonable request?