Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ball joints?

Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesJKB
The wheel moving lead me to think the rotors needed to be done. I did the work myself and I don't think I did anything wrong but I'll double check. I checked the ball joints and they seem fine. I need to get a torque wrench and double check the track bar.

I rotated the tires and I may move the fronts ti the back just to be sure they are not the problem and maybe in need of balancing.

I tried checking the drag link and tie rod, but I truely wasn't sure what I should be looking for. The drag link moved a little were it connects to the knuckle.
I take it you used a brake lathe to turn the rotors? Did you check them if they are within spec after turning it? Is the rotor sitting flush on the hub? I've seen bad brake lathes cause a bad runout on the rotors and actually caused a shake on the steering wheel while braking. This definitely sounds like a rotor issue more than anything else.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took the rotors to pepboys and had them done.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JamesJKB
I took the rotors to pepboys and had them done.
there's your problem

did it start hapenning right after you did the brakes or after a few miles? You should have the rotors re-checked
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

The problem started before I had the rotors done. The rotors were my initial thought that is why I had them done.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

You never answered the most important question, does the wheel shake when you're not applying the brakes? If it shakes just at slow speed, then it's most likely a tire issue, if it's only when you're braking, it's most likely rotors.
Maybe you could describe what's going on and when and we could try to help you, give you some things to check out.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

I thought I read somewhere that it only did it when the brakes were applied but I guess I read wrong. ^ his question is very valid, does it do it with the brakes applied or not? That makes a big difference on what we need to look for. If it only does it with the brakes applied, I would have the rotors runout checked. Check tires for trueness if it does it without the brakes applied. Another thing to check would be the steering shaft.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Newbie

He said it does it when he brakes, but i wanted to make sure it only did it when he was braking. I've had people come in talking about a brake shake and then come to find out the only time they felt the bad tire was when they were going slow, with their foot on the brake. Brake pulsations are usually worse at high speeds, tires are usually more noticeable at slow speeds. Either way, trying to help over the net is tricky at best. Even talking to people face to face can be hard enough to get accurate information.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamk73
He said it does it when he brakes, but i wanted to make sure it only did it when he was braking. I've had people come in talking about a brake shake and then come to find out the only time they felt the bad tire was when they were going slow, with their foot on the brake. Brake pulsations are usually worse at high speeds, tires are usually more noticeable at slow speeds. Either way, trying to help over the net is tricky at best. Even talking to people face to face can be hard enough to get accurate information.
yup, that's why I was asking about the shaking in earlier post. If the shaking is ONLY happening when brakes are applied, then we have gone through nearly each item to diagnose the steering wheel shake and coming up with nothing

if the steering wheel is shaking while driving, then there are other options to look into and can be as simple as an alignment and the tires being worn.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captjay
yup, that's why I was asking about the shaking in earlier post. If the shaking is ONLY happening when brakes are applied, then we have gone through nearly each item to diagnose the steering wheel shake and coming up with nothing

if the steering wheel is shaking while driving, then there are other options to look into and can be as simple as an alignment and the tires being worn.
Yeah, he never answered your question directly, or even indirectly for that matter. Its almost pointless to try and help someone. I mean you can give ideas but the chances that someone is actually going to try and work with you and figure out their problem is pretty slim. At least that's what I've found. It's kind of like self gratification, it makes you feel good, but at the end of the the day it doesn't really do anything productive. LOL. At least you can try though.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I only really notice things while braking, so I will have the rotors checked. Do shops normally make sure they are not warped or do they just shave them down?

Quick Reply: ball joints?