Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Back seats

Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Ely
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back seats

Now I've had several jeeps 73 CJ5, 90 YJ, 01 TJ, and now this 08 JK all of them had a flip and fold passenger seat to help get into the back seat EXCEPT the jk. I've found it easier to just jump over from the back. But when I tell folks to just hop in and open the back up you should see the looks I get.
Now am I missing some thing or should us 2 door guys just throw our back seats away ? Its hard to use something you can't get to.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely
Now I've had several jeeps 73 CJ5, 90 YJ, 01 TJ, and now this 08 JK all of them had a flip and fold passenger seat to help get into the back seat EXCEPT the jk. I've found it easier to just jump over from the back. But when I tell folks to just hop in and open the back up you should see the looks I get.
Now am I missing some thing or should us 2 door guys just throw our back seats away ? Its hard to use something you can't get to.
If I had a 2 door, I would take the back seat out. It could always be reinstalled in a desperate situation.
I love the looks of the 2dr, but I could not let that keep me from having an easily accessed back seat and more storage. It was the 4dr that got me back into a Jeep.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by indyrednek
Owners manual:
07 is section 3 page 87
09 is section 3 page 88
08 is section 3 also.
There is a lever on the side of the seat that releases the seat track so it slides forward and the seat back is then released to fold forward.
Most 2 door vehicles have this feature. As far as fold-n-tumble seats they have done away with those due to the crash safety testing imposed by "Big Brother"
More likely it was cheaper to make a seat that doesn't fold and tumble. Vans have fold and tumble seats in the back. They pass the crash requirements.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
More likely it was cheaper to make a seat that doesn't fold and tumble. Vans have fold and tumble seats in the back. They pass the crash requirements.
Ya but they work completely different than the old Tj fold and tumble seats. Its was a very simple lever that held that in place. Now I havent seen all the minivans set ups but the ones I have is a much stronger.

Quick Reply: Back seats