Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Back Seat-Belts Lock Up

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had this problem. havent really been able to figure it out
Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Like I said earlier, make a rubber stop to squeeze the belt at the proper extension for the person in the seat. This will prevent the belt from retracting.
Thanks, that is the best solution so far, I was just hoping for something a little more permanent.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Thanks, that is the best solution so far, I was just hoping for something a little more permanent.
I know you want to disable this feature. It doesn't look like you can.
At least the rubber stop would be adjustable, and could be considered "permanent" as long as you left it on.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, same question with different cause:
I unbolted the rear belts (floor and pillar) to Herculine the tub. The anchored end of the belts bolts to the deck, the working end to the rollbar (vader helmet). Trying to re-install, I could not get ANY slack in the spring-wound ratchet, let alone enough to re-anchor them. Since I pulled the rear seat, it's not a huge issue, but I would like to put them back on someday.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know why they do it. It is because the belt is to short. I am a bigger guy and when i ride in back it locks if i lean up to talk to people in front. someone at DC wanted to save money and cut a corner and used less belt. I have been working on an idea to fix this as well as the incline of the seat.. Right now still on drawing board got to find hardware that would hold up in a wreck. if you was to move the retractor up 6 inches it should be fine for the fattest guy. My problem is finding hardware to do this and be safe. Plus im on the 0 dollor budget so it might be a week or too till I get the stuff I need. I will do a full write up on it once it is done. nother chose is to move the retractor and guide forward and that would work.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

This is what I was picturing in my twisted mind. With a little imagination, one could make a similar home-made clip.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip-it.JPG
Views:	3238
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	28169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip-it on Belt.JPG
Views:	3270
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	28170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip-it Holding Belt.JPG
Views:	3386
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	28171  

Last edited by ronjenx; 08-06-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was out with my in-laws in the back of my Jeep today and they had this exact problem.

I'm pretty sure that the driver's seat doesn't do this, who would allow a child in a child seat to drive?

I wonder if I could find a couple of seat belts that would normally go into the driver's position and install them else where? It would seam like it would be cost effective to use the same seatbelt every where, but have a way to disable the lock feature on the drivers seat.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry to resurrect this really old thread, but I know a pretty good solution to this that is actually for use on seat belts (won't damage the belt, or void any insurance things). How about just using a locking clip? You know...the metal ones that come on child restraints for the purpose of keeping seat belts in older vehicles from loosening. I'm pregnant so I use a locking clip on the lap portion of my belt to keep it from getting uncomfortably tight.

You can get them for around $3 at ToysRUs, Walmart, pretty much anywhere that sells baby stuff.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo
Sorry to resurrect this really old thread, but I know a pretty good solution to this that is actually for use on seat belts (won't damage the belt, or void any insurance things). How about just using a locking clip? You know...the metal ones that come on child restraints for the purpose of keeping seat belts in older vehicles from loosening. I'm pregnant so I use a locking clip on the lap portion of my belt to keep it from getting uncomfortably tight.

You can get them for around $3 at ToysRUs, Walmart, pretty much anywhere that sells baby stuff.
Can you post a picture of the locking clip on the belt?

Quick Reply: Back Seat-Belts Lock Up