Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Back Seat-Belts Lock Up

Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Seat-Belts Lock Up

My back seat belts lock up when anyone bigger than a little kid sits in the back. I have searched and know that this is mandated for the seat belts due to the child seat safty laws. However I do have a few friends and family members that would like to go off roading with us without having the air squeezed out of them one click at a time.

Looking around I see people complaining about this but can't find any suggestions as how to fix/work around the problem. The only thing I saw on Google was a seat belt extender (http://www.justforjeeps.com/sebeex.html) but for $40 each seems like a rip off.

Please help, I want to take the doors off but the current situation is that they just don't wear the seat belts and I don't want someone falling out.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, anyone know a good trick for getting the belts lose once they lock up?

My rear belts keep locking up in the fully retracted position and I have no idea why they eventually come lose, but it aint fun.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRed
My back seat belts lock up when anyone bigger than a little kid sits in the back. I have searched and know that this is mandated for the seat belts due to the child seat safty laws. However I do have a few friends and family members that would like to go off roading with us without having the air squeezed out of them one click at a time.

Looking around I see people complaining about this but can't find any suggestions as how to fix/work around the problem. The only thing I saw on Google was a seat belt extender (http://www.justforjeeps.com/sebeex.html) but for $40 each seems like a rip off.

Please help, I want to take the doors off but the current situation is that they just don't wear the seat belts and I don't want someone falling out.
I just noticed this recently when I had a large person in the back.
I was thinking of some sort of rubber clamp on the belt to prevent it from retracting under its own force. The clamp would be slide-able to adjust as needed.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you sure they locked up? My daughter was riding in the back seat of my wife's KK without a seat belt on. when I asked why she said that it was stuck. I took a look at it and it appeared to be "locked." Closer inspection showed that the metal slide clip had gotten past the seam in the belt and was stuck. I forced it back over the seam and everything was fine.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

To clarify, this is what happens when you pull the seat belt all of the way out and it starts to ratchet down when it goes back in. The only way to get it to quit ratcheting is to let it all the way back in and try again. The problem is that the back seatbelts are mounted so far back in the Jeep that there isn't much leeway when trying to pull it around yourself to buckle in.

I was hoping that there would be something like a replacement seat belt that is about a foot longer that I could buy? Or maybe a way to disable the ratcheting feature? I wouldn't want to do that permenatly though since it is necessary when you have to put a child seat in.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To disengage the locking seat belt....just retrack the entire seat belt back. Then buckle up BUT....don't pull the entire belt out....or you engage the locking belt... if you don't pull it out entirely you should not have any issues of the belt locking up unless it's a hard stop.

To lock the belt just pull out the selt belt to the full extent click the belt in and then retract to lock up smaller kids in booster seats.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Thanks, but we have friends that are too big to put on the seat belt without pulling it out all of the way, so that suggestion doesn't work in this senario.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Thanks, but we have friends that are too big to put on the seat belt without pulling it out all of the way, so that suggestion doesn't work in this senario.
Like I said earlier, make a rubber stop to squeeze the belt at the proper extension for the person in the seat. This will prevent the belt from retracting.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

My owners manual says that that is a feature to help lock in child seats.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

I removed one of my back belts to intstall my Co2 bracket.
I secured the belt as it was before i removed the bolt.
When i went back to reinstall it i could not get it to fully extend anymore.
I went to the dealer and complained about this safety issue and finally purchased a new one because "it wasn't covered by my warrantee"

Quick Reply: Back Seat-Belts Lock Up