Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Back in the saddle....

Old 12-26-2018, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the saddle....

Hello (again) jeepers! I traded my 2007 in back in 2012 due to my daughters car seat difficulties. Got a line a few weeks ago on a 2010 2 door sport with 89k on the odometer. I’m strongly considering buying it!! It has a few quirks, but mostly simple things. Working on a toy is almost as fun to me as driving them!

My main issue with the Jeep is (I believe) it needs some new lifters. Cold start, slight tick for only a second or two (same as the 2007 did) then quiet. Once it warms up, a tick shows up. Louder until it gets to operating temp. Faster/louder with increased throttle. I believe I can changed them out myself, but wanted to consult the group. I have done a bit of searching/reading through the threads on here. I basically want to know if I should buy the Jeep, or leave it alone I guess... any help? I was planning on camshaft, lifters, push rods, rockers, timing chain/sprocket and new gaskets while I’m in it.

Last edited by Redjk07; 12-26-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-31-2018, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Depending on the price, I would likely leave this one alone. There are a few of us on here pushing towards 200K miles on the 3.8L without lifter tick. If you're hearing lifter tick on one with 89K miles that seems to me neglect of changing the oil may be involved with the current owner which may lead to other bigger problems.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Depending on the price, I would likely leave this one alone. There are a few of us on here pushing towards 200K miles on the 3.8L without lifter tick. If you're hearing lifter tick on one with 89K miles that seems to me neglect of changing the oil may be involved with the current owner which may lead to other bigger problems.
That is what I ended up doing. I cleaned the daylights out of it (intending on keeping it) but after some research, I figured this would be one best left alone. So I took it back to my buddies house, and suggested he take it to car max to see what they offer. I want a toy, not a money pit. Lol. Thanks for the reply!!

Quick Reply: Back in the saddle....