Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

back door vent

Old 07-16-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadPunkin
Just took mine off tonight. 2010 still has the flappers. My new PS tramp stamp replaces the vent. From what I understand the vector stamp is spaced from the gate allowing air in the sides. The PS is flush, the stamp opening is covered by my plate right now. Bits only 2 small slits though, not a lot of air moving anyway.
Nice Job BadPumpkin did mine as well with the PS Tramp Stamp .. looks way better than that cheezie vent sticking out ..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poison Spyder JK Tramp Stamp 2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	182412
Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
Ok, genuinely stooopid question I will admit.....

What the heck is this vent for? I've an 08 and mine's taller and thinner..... what the heck is this 'you can hear it open and close'?
As far as I know, it's just to vent the air pressure when you shut the doors. Not an issue on a soft top for sure.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That AND when soft top is all up and on nicey nice you don't look like a Jiffy Pop popcorn thingy driving down the road when you turn on ANY fan setting except recirculate. I ditched mine and admit I do need more airflow. I look like a Baloon when the windows are up and a/c on on the way to work.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just took my factory spare off today, realized the 285 the previous owner had on there was starting to look like it was leaning back.....sure as crap the top of the spare tire holder and down a side was cracked right in half.

My question is where did people get the rubber gromets for the holes left over?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Super Freak

For the tire bump stops (or whatever they're actually called) you can look at vector Offroad. They make UFOs to plug them. For the actual threaded tire mount holes, I just covered them. Technically I drilled my tramp stamp and used the OEM screws to mount it because I want access to the rear door panel, but they're meant to go right over the holes.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 PM
JK Super Freak

just take it out. It looks ugly any ways.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn
just take it out. It looks ugly any ways.
ordering the vector one. Thanks everyone for posting pics
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
Ok, genuinely stooopid question I will admit.....

What the heck is this vent for? I've an 08 and mine's taller and thinner..... what the heck is this 'you can hear it open and close'?
Turn in your heep, turn on the air, high. Do not have it recirculate. Make sure all doors are closed and windows closed, even with soft top butnit isn't as pronounced as with hard top.

Now, go back to the rear andnput your hand by the vent. You can feel air blowing out. There is a recent thread about this and it's purpose. It will help cool your heep off mote quickly if you run the a/c this way for about the first 5-10 minutes and the switch to recirculate. Te hit air gets pushed out the vent.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I remember walking by the vents one day and shocked at the pressure coming out of the vents. Here's mine btw...

I even have a break light in the vent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1295598853.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	183113  
Old 07-18-2011, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2011 and it is the same as on my 09. I removed it and put on a Rampage plate, rear brake light, and license plate bracket and love it. I put my spare in the back of the JK so did not need all that crap hanging off the back door.

Quick Reply: back door vent