Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle Seal Leak? Leaking gear lube? Green fluid

Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting...

Wouldn't be running Mobil 1 Syn 75w90 gear oil would you?

It's not leprechan piss, Mobil 1 Syn gear oil is green. I just started running Mob 1 Syn gear oil about 800mi ago and just noticed mine now has the same leak...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
Very interesting...

Wouldn't be running Mobil 1 Syn 75w90 gear oil would you?

It's not leprechan piss, Mobil 1 Syn gear oil is green. I just started running Mob 1 Syn gear oil about 800mi ago and just noticed mine now has the same leak...
I'd have to call the shop that screwed up the axle seal and ask them for sure. For the record they overfilled my diff when they replaced the seal and it was still not fixed right. I ended up going to a local 4WD only shop and he drained it, put OEM oil in and everything is now great, no more smelly garage!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be able to tell by feel and smell.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alien10
I was under my Jeep the other day and found what appears to be a leaky passenger side axle seal. The fluid wasn't green but it did have a distinctive odor to it. Jeep has about 8100 miles on it. I guess that's what I get for breaking your balls.
haha, yeah everyone was quick to think green = antifreeze but I guess the sky's the limit when it comes to gear oil colors (or so I've heard now) Everyone needs a good ball breaking every now and then...

Quick Reply: Axle Seal Leak? Leaking gear lube? Green fluid