Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Axle Seal Leak? Leaking gear lube? Green fluid

Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Seal Leak? Leaking gear lube? Green fluid

I've only had my used '07 Rubi a few weeks (has 42k miles) and I just had to get my pinion seal replaced last week. I got it back and drove it about 35 miles back to my house. I came out to check on something else on it and saw this (front driverside)

At first I thought it was coolant (since it was green) but in my reserve tank, the coolant in there is PINK so I kind of doubt it's that. I called the shop that changed the pinion seal and they told me it could diff oil and to keep an eye on it. I drove in the rain/snow that night and checked it right when I stopped and it was gone but soon after it was back again (leaking down my tires and when parked at home, on the garage floor)

I've read a little on here that it could be from them overfilling (after doing the seal) If this is the case, will this correct itself? Is this something I need to tend to ASAP? Could this be b/c of them doing the other seal? Anyone have any luck with extended warranties covering this if the shop doesn't want to work with me?

Last edited by jkMCA; 01-02-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added coolant details
Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

That's coolant
Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Moochie
That's coolant
That's what I thought too, but my coolant is pink (in the reserve tank)
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

I've never seen green gear oil.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Did the dealership top off your jeep with coolant and spilled some and it's just dripping perfectly into that area ?!?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A leprechan musta peed on your axle.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alien10
I'm leaning towards the leprechan theory as well.
It would be funny if it wasn't a real problem, lol, I can go out and take pics of the green oily water mix that's all over my garage floor right now if needed. Not sure what else to say, there's nothing green under my hood. Unless the ONLY green antifreeze in the car (and not in the reserve tank where it's pink) ONLY leaks right there, it's not antifreeze. I wish I was lucky enough to have a leprechaun living in my garage, then, I'd have the pot gold to fix what I just bought and haven't been able to enjoy yet....grrrr.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moochie
I've never seen green gear oil.
Some companies put out green gear oil

Originally Posted by jkMCA
It would be funny if it wasn't a real problem, lol, I can go out and take pics of the green oily water mix that's all over my garage floor right now if needed. Not sure what else to say, there's nothing green under my hood. Unless the ONLY green antifreeze in the car (and not in the reserve tank where it's pink) ONLY leaks right there, it's not antifreeze. I wish I was lucky enough to have a leprechaun living in my garage, then, I'd have the pot gold to fix what I just bought and haven't been able to enjoy yet....grrrr.
If I were you, I'd pull the top fill plug of diif and see if it's overfilled and blew through the seal. Also, check for blow out at the top of your diff breather hose.

Last edited by mkjeep; 01-02-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
A leprechan musta peed on your axle.
Ha!!

It would be hard to confuse gear oil with coolant. One good sniff and there will be no doubt!

Last edited by JK44M; 01-05-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK44M
It would be hard to confuse gear oil with coolant. One good sniff and there will be no doubt!
Oh yeah, it smelled weird, almost like onions or something.

For the record, my mechanic called, and it was for sure the axle seal. Should be done today. I guess they just use green gear oil there.

Quick Reply: Axle Seal Leak? Leaking gear lube? Green fluid