Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

axle seal leak

Old 11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle seal leak

Less than 1500 miles on a brand new rubi u. And my passenger side front shaft seal is f*****g leaking!
Old 11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ouch!! have you taken out offroading or rock climbing?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

same thing happened to me. Brand new 2010 rubicon passenger front seal was leaking. happened at about 3500 miles. Dealer replaced. Jk at 4,500 now and no issues so far.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well, common problem...is it leaking or seeping? A small seep that makes the end of the C look wet without there being a puddle under it where you park is really no big deal at all, a leak where you have a puddle under it where you park should warrant closer look. These seals are very susceptable to seepage. On a new vehicle under warranty if you want it repaired do so, but don't loose your mind over it, likely you will be visiting this problem down the road again if you keep the Jeep for a while.
For my Jeep, I have developed a small seep...no puddles where I park, just a wet C, doesn't bother me in the slightest...I check my level every now and then, and after fording water I drain, clean and fill and all is good.
The process to replace the seals requires stripping the housing of axles and differential, it's involved...and for a small seep in a Jeep out of warranty, I say forget about it....top it up when required.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

No wheeling yet. And its a pretty good leak. Forming a puddle Evan as we speak. Taking it in tomorrow. Just found another post with lots of guys having same problem
Old 11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, definately take it back then.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Just dropped it off. Hopefully ill know something tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chainboy1
I just took mine in for a leak on the drivers side. They said it will be 2 or 3 weeks before the parts are in to fix it. I wish they'd hurry because I have 35's ready to go on. I am sure they will frown upon that if I take it in for repair rolling on 35's. Being patient, a couple weeks can't be to bad right?
Two or three weeks !
That seems to be a bit extreme ?
Mine leaked after the ball joints were replaced.
Took the dealers less than a week to get replacement and got it done the next day and thats over here in England.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the manufacturing business and if there's none to be had its because there going threw them fast
Old 11-09-2010, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

Technician assured me it was just a bad seal. Already replaced it, and the Jeep is ready for pick up

Quick Reply: axle seal leak