Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

AVG ECO Algorithm - Anyone know what it is?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVG ECO Algorithm - Anyone know what it is?

I'm thinking about a mod involving the AVG ECO display and was wondering if anyone knows what the algorithm is that they use? In other words, I know the data are computed from the last known number, that is to say, if it is displaying say 16.8 and you do a reset, it starts averaging again from 16.8 and the display updates rather rapidly as the data points are accumulated. I would like to know how many data points (miles?) are uses in the calculation. I am (reasonably) sure at some point, it starts dropping the oldest data and adding the newest into the equation and I suspect the number of data points is not very large but I wonder if anyone knows for sure?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ultrasport
I would like to know how many data points (miles?) are uses in the calculation. I am (reasonably) sure at some point, it starts dropping the oldest data and adding the newest into the equation and I suspect the number of data points is not very large but I wonder if anyone knows for sure?
I don't know for sure, but based on my own experience going from city driving to an extended highway drive, it seems to average the last 100 km.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I suspect it's something about like that. Thanks for the response!

Steve
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can kind of agree with the 100 miles of data points my owner manual says if you do a "reset" it switches to providing instantaneous mpg readouts until the next time the engine is started. At the next start it reverts to providing Avg mpg. Supposedly it does this even though the display continues to display "AVG ECO".

From pages 259 & 260 of my 2010 manual

COMPASS AND TRIP COMPUTER — IF
EQUIPPED
The Compass/Trip Computer is located in the instrument
cluster. It features a driver-interactive display (displays
information such as outside temperature, compass
direction, and trip information).
Control Buttons
Press and release the left button (on the instrument
cluster) to access the computer displays.
Press and hold the left button (on the instrument cluster)
for two to three seconds to switch from English to Metric
displays.

Reset / Change Display
Press and hold the left button (on the instrument cluster)
while function is being displayed to reset or change the
display.

The following trip displays can be reset or changed:
• AVG ECO (changes to present fuel economy)
• ET (will reset display)
Trip Conditions
Average Fuel Economy (AVG ECO)
This display shows the average fuel economy.

Just my two centavos
Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input!

I read that but I thought that mean it switched to present MPG reading and then started accumulating from there with the stack "empty". I THINK that's what is happening because when I have done it, (I thought) the update rate is quite rapid to start with but gets slower and slower pretty quickly which I thought indicated that the data was accumulating again. I'll check it again.

UPDATE... It looks like when you press the button, it changes the "stack" size in that it updates much more often. It's like normally the stack had 1000 points on it and after a button press (and before a restart) it has 100. Those are just approximations of course but it should give you the idea.

Thanks again!

Steve

Last edited by Ultrasport; 06-01-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: AVG ECO Algorithm - Anyone know what it is?