Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Automatic transmission problems and weirdness

Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Automatic transmission problems and weirdness

Hi all,

I have a 2009 Wrangler X base package. The only options were the Smoker's group (it was thown in for free), Automatic transmission, and Air Conditioning($18000). I have owned it for about five weeks now. Two weeks of that was spent at the dealer getting the transmission rebuilt. First I noticed that it had a hard down shift into first gear while coming up to a stop sign, then I stomped the gas at about 30 miles an hour and it almost sent me through the windshield.
It turned out to be a bad seal on a transducer valve. They had a lot of problems getting the 85 parts it took to put it back together, but it works well now.
I noticed something else after I got it back. If you try to back it up a steep incline, say 30 degrees it acts like it has a broken motor mount. It shimmes and shakes.. I took it back to the dealer today and they tried another 2009 an it does the same thing.. Very weird.
My dealer has a call into Chrysler. They did not see any drivability recalls. They also called Chrysler about the original problem to tell them to add a quality inspection during assembly of the transducer piston.
Anybody else had this weird shake and shimmie ?? Try it and let me know so I can give my dealer more info.

Steve
Old 04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they find a fix for it, let us know. This is something that every JK seems to have. They will probably give it back to you calling it normal...and it may well be. I think it has something to do with how the driveline angle changes under load in reverse. It probably happens in every vehicle, but for some reason is more prevelant in the JK.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't seen that yet but the other day, while in low range going up the steep snowy driveway at my cabin, the tranny did two extremely violent shifts. It felt like the drivetrain had momentarily seized. After that it's been working perfectly

Chris.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If they find a fix for it, let us know. This is something that every JK seems to have. They will probably give it back to you calling it normal...and it may well be. I think it has something to do with how the driveline angle changes under load in reverse. It probably happens in every vehicle, but for some reason is more prevelant in the JK.
I agree, mine does it too. I just searched on here the other day and found a whole topic about it and pretty much everyone said theirs shakes while reversing up a steep hill too.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine has the reverse bug too
Old 04-09-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Mine also does this while backing up.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

same here but without the Smoker's group option
Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I try to stay away from the smokers group
Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

mine does it... hard shift when slowing down.... but more when i am slowing (like at a red light), but then it turns green and i accelerate. it seems that if i accelerate almost simultaneously as it down shifts, it slams into gear with a loud clunk.

and yes, when backing up, unless i gun it, it feels like its hopping until i get moving a bit faster.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

x10 on the reverse thing. Although, bigger tires have seemed to fix it a bit.

Quick Reply: Automatic transmission problems and weirdness