Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Automatic stalls when first put in gear

Old 08-29-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
Could be your Torque Converter.
I was thinking that also TC- but wouldn't there be other signs like chattering at speed or something else?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratbike1
I was thinking that also TC- but wouldn't there be other signs like chattering at speed or something else?
I'm no auto trans guru. There could be other signs or not. I had this happen to me and it was the Torque Converter...when I rebuilt my auto trans at 95K miles I went with an ATS torque converter. The first one they sent me had a defect and when it started to go bad, the jeep would stall out when I shifted into drive/Reverse
Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Google 2013 Wrangler transmission problem

Very common and yes sounds like your torque converter which according to my search has been failing on these JK's
The following users liked this post:
bwootters (12-26-2022)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcdawg
I'm no auto trans guru. There could be other signs or not. I had this happen to me and it was the Torque Converter...when I rebuilt my auto trans at 95K miles I went with an ATS torque converter. The first one they sent me had a defect and when it started to go bad, the jeep would stall out when I shifted into drive/Reverse

Good info right there, thank you!

Originally Posted by Chadc880
Google 2013 Wrangler transmission problem

Very common and yes sounds like your torque converter which according to my search has been failing on these JK's
Thabks Chad. I tried a google search and found people with auto issues, but nothing that sounded like mine. Would you have a link I could read?

Appreciate everyone's input!
bwootters (12-26-2022)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:00 AM
JK Newbie

I know this is a fairly old thread but I was hoping to hear what you found out with this issue. Mine started doing this a few months ago and is exactly as you described. I have a 2012 auto with around 50k miles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
bwootters (12-26-2022)

Quick Reply: Automatic stalls when first put in gear