Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto transmission slams into gear

Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto transmission slams into gear

Searched this up but could not find anything.

From time to time I notice the automatic transmission is difficult to get out of Park, especially if the Jeep is not sitting flat, i.e. on an incline or decline. Also when I put transmission from Park to Drive , it slams into gear occasionally.

I am not sure what is causing this, any suggestions?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Best way to get around this problem, set your parking brake and then put it into park. The entire weight of the vehicle is being placed on the 'park gear' and when you shift out a lot more force is needed to get it out of gear.

From the ever wonderful Wiki.

Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it generally requires removing the transmission from the car.

Last edited by Locklain; 12-02-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Locklain
Best way to get around this problem, set your parking brake and then put it into park. The entire weight of the vehicle is being placed on the 'park gear' and when you shift out a lot more force is needed to get it out of gear.

From the ever wonderful Wiki.

Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it generally requires removing the transmission from the car.

Hmmm....makes sense. I will give it a shot, THANKS!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I have noticed this on previous vehicles, (Honda's and Jeep and wife's Dodge Minivan), whenever on an incline, before I put the Jeep in Park, I pull the parking brake, then put in P. Then, when I get back in, I put in R, then release the parking brake, no force is needed. Of course, this is rare, living in Memphis, we really don't have hills.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
I have noticed this on previous vehicles, (Honda's and Jeep and wife's Dodge Minivan), whenever on an incline, before I put the Jeep in Park, I pull the parking brake, then put in P. Then, when I get back in, I put in R, then release the parking brake, no force is needed. Of course, this is rare, living in Memphis, we really don't have hills.
Proud to say that once again I am the last guy to get the memo...

DOH!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

One thing to mention, though I see you are from Arizona, if you start to use your parking brake you should always use it. This will alleviate any rusting in the line that may cause it to seize.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Locklain
One thing to mention, though I see you are from Arizona, if you start to use your parking brake you should always use it. This will alleviate any rusting in the line that may cause it to seize.
Good call. Even though I am in AZ, I still do see some rust.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have also had trouble shifting mine from park to reverse. Only two times but enough to scare me into posting up something here tonight. I only have 2200 miles on the Jeep and never had this problem in any other vehicle before. The first time I don't know if I was on an incline but the second time was in a parking lot. Not sure if it was entirely level but I think it was. Should I have the dealership look into this?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

I was hoping in could find something on here to tell me what was going on....I notice this when I back my bass boat down in the water and launch it. When I go to drive back up ramp and shift out of park to drive it requires more force than normal to shift. I tried doing the e-brake first and then park trick and that fixed it. I might get it looked at next oil change just to make sure i didnt damage it. I think it did it probably 10 or so times. Other than that It tows the 18' ranger and trailer like a champ and i love the short wheelbase of the jeep, makes backing up a piece of cake!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was slamming. Ended up needing a tranny rebuild.

Quick Reply: Auto transmission slams into gear