Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Transmission Questoins

Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Questoins

First, I am new to Wrangler. I had it for a year and I have been enjoying no door no top in the hot dry heat in Idaho.

My JK is a 2 door auto with stock tires (I believe it's 30 or 31 inch).

I've read a lot of posts on auto tranny fluid leaking and some believe that this could be the cause of the spotaneous combustion.

I really love my JK, but these posts made me really nervous, too. I don't really know anything about cars and I want to be proactive to make sure that I would not have any transmission problems, especially when I drive with my kids in the back.

I use the Jeep for daily driving and pull my 16 foot small alminum boat for fishing on weekends (drives 2-3 hours one way for the longset trip). I usually take it slow and I would not go faster than 80MPH with trailing the boat.

So, my questions are

1) Where should I be looking for possible transmission fluid leaks?
2) Where is this transmission fluid contained?
3) My understanding is that the transmission fluid can overflow if it gets too hot. Would it leak from where the dip stick is?
4) Tranny cooler could help reduce the transmission fluid, right? Where can you get it and how much would it cost to have it install?

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but learning these things and being on top of things would give me a piece of mind. If you could show me some pictures that would help me a lot!

I've been learning a lot of things on this forum and I am really enjoying riding the Jeep!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by katsumotology; 07-17-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

1. Around sump pan; between engine and transmission; between transmission and transfer case; top and bottom of dipstick tube

2. In the pan on the bottom of the transmission.

3. Yes and can flow onto the exhaust manifold.

4. Yes. From parts stores, online, etc. Not expensive and easy to install.

I recommend installing a temp gauge with the sensor in the transmission sump pan before getting the cooler. You may not need the cooler and it is nice to know what temp the transmission is running at anyway.
A cooler is always good in the summer, but will keep the transmission too cold in the winter. The shift schedule changes according to transmission temp. I don't know if flow to factory the cooler stops when too cool.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM
JK Jedi

I think the cooler might be a good peace of mind solution for you, especially since you tow some. As ronjenx mentioned maybe monitor it first to see if it's an issue before installing.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by katsumotology
First, I am new to Wrangler. I had it for a year and I have been enjoying no door no top in the hot dry heat in Idaho.

I've read a lot of posts on auto tranny fluid leaking and some believe that this could be the cause of the spotaneous combustion.

I really love my JK, but these posts made me really nervous, too. I don't really know anything about cars and I want to be proactive to make sure that I would not have any transmission problems, especially when I drive with my kids in the back.

I use the Jeep for daily driving and pull my 16 foot small alminum boat for fishing on weekends (drives 2-3 hours one way for the longset trip). I usually take it slow and I would not go faster than 80MPH with trailing the boat.

So, my questions are

3) My understanding is that the transmission fluid can overflow if it gets too hot. Would it leak from where the dip stick is?
4) Tranny cooler could help reduce the transmission fluid, right? Where can you get it and how much would it cost to have it install?

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but learning these things and being on top of things would give me a piece of mind. If you could show me some pictures that would help me a lot!

I've been learning a lot of things on this forum and I am really enjoying riding the Jeep!

Thanks in advance!
None of these are stupid. Here are some more answers.

1) On the ground.

2) In the pan.

3) It will come out of the dipstick tube, yes. It will likely not look like it's leaking from the tube though. It will probably be coming off of the right front (passenger side) corner of the pan. Again, the short answer is on the ground.

4) Yes. 4a) There are a lot of answers to this. I got the largest universal cooler that B&M makes and it was like 98 bucks for the cooler alone. I would charge probably 100 or so bucks labor but it would look like a factory job and be hard lined in. That is my everyday customer price. For a fellow forum member, I would do it for free...well maybe some beer and make you do most of the work with me showing you how so you could learn something useful and maybe tackle something yourself next time.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep

1) On the ground.

2) In the pan.

3) It will come out of the dipstick tube, yes. It will likely not look like it's leaking from the tube though. It will probably be coming off of the right front (passenger side) corner of the pan. Again, the short answer is on the ground.

4) Yes. 4a) There are a lot of answers to this. I got the largest universal cooler that B&M makes and it was like 98 bucks for the cooler alone. I would charge probably 100 or so bucks labor but it would look like a factory job and be hard lined in. That is my everyday customer price. For a fellow forum member, I would do it for free...well maybe some beer and make you do most of the work with me showing you how so you could learn something useful and maybe tackle something yourself next time.

X3 on the cooler. Hey....I'll help too!
Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

For a fellow forum member, I would do it for free...well maybe some beer and make you do most of the work with me showing you how so you could learn something useful and maybe tackle something yourself next time.
Can I be your friend RedneckJeep? I'll bring the beer and pay for the pizza!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You deep deep South boys call me a day in advance, I'll help. Is there an air compressor available?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) On the ground.

2) In the pan.

Hey Redneck what part of GA you in? I'll have to stop there on my waydown to see parents in St Simons Island. Even at 100bucks you southern folk work cheap Beer and pizza

$115 and hour up here
Old 07-19-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rob4607
But everyone here seems very nice and helpfull.
You think that only cause you don't know me........YET!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by katsumotology

So, my questions are

Thanks in advance!
Its possible to overheat the auto tranny in extreme conditions and it will puke up through the fill tube. There are several threads here regarding this, maybe a search can find them...

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Questoins