Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Transmission Question 2010 Sahara Unlimited

Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Transmission Question 2010 Sahara Unlimited

I brought my Jeep to dealer yesterday for minor stuff- look for leak, inspection, etc. This morning I found a black plastic cap loose in back seat. It looks like a wire tie but has some kind of grease inside. Not sure what it is or if it is needed somewhere.

Anyway, while driving I noticed the auto transmission was not shifting (3000+ RPM at 25-30 MPH). Have only had Jeep a few weeks but definately a big difference from typical shifting.

Also, not sure if related or not, while in "D" at stop light on slight incline, when I took foot off brake my Jeep started to roll backwards. Never noticed that before either...though I thought I read somewhere that Jeep has some kind of anti-roll thing on 2010 Unlimited(??)

After 10 minutes of driving with faulty shift, I turned Jeep off and drove again 20 mins later. No shift problems, tranny fine.

Questions:

Anyone have similair experience with shifting on new Jeep? BTW- The outside temp was 70's so not like trans had to warm up much.

How is exerience with Jeep repair service? I am let with a bad taste after my first visit.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hill start assist is what your talking about. When u let off the brake the computer should hold the jeep in place for a couple of seconds.

Dont know whats up with the shift problem, but I would check the transmission fluid level.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome and here is my little saga

The link I pasted below is my own experience with a 2010 automatic transmission that was missing shifts / not shifting, post #1:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=shift

In my case all that was needed was a software update. I have corresponded with one other owner that had a 10/09 build date the same as mine and had a similar experience and similar fix.

Check the owners manual and follow the procedure for checking the transmission fluid level.

Hit the link below for the procedure to check for any diagnostic codes and post any codes the system reports back on your thread.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...agnostic-Codes

Post a picture of the cap w/ grease thing.

Jeep service will vary from dealer to dealer some are good and some are

Oh, and welcome to the forum
Old 06-14-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Default Software

transmission problem happened again this morning. i pulled over to check engine codes but nothing displayed other than "done". restarted and shifted fine.

built date was august 25, 2009 so as kingtb mentioned, sounds like it could be a software update.

thanks for info guys, will bring back for service this week.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default Windshield washer

I would guess the cap thing is the windshield washer fluid supply line hose cap for the rear glass.It is only used when the hard top is taken off to plug the hose. It may have fallen off the line when someone fiddled with the hose. If it is not on the hose helping secure the hose to the barb then the hose has a tendancy to blow off the barb and leak washer fluid on the rear carpet.

Quick Reply: Auto Transmission Question 2010 Sahara Unlimited