Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Trans oil temp warning system

Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my dealer, and they're not aware of this recall yet. I think it is probably stalled for testing.

I'm looking forward to getting this recall fixed because it's also a good excuse to get your Jeep reflashed to the most recent software. And the warning message isn't bad either, though it's definitely no cure for overheating transmissions.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was under the impression they had to install a sensor, too. Am I wrong?

I am always a little nervous about having something like a flash done when everything is working well/smoothly.

(probably because I can get my head around the mechanical stuff but I can't take a wrench to software...)
Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

Called my dealership yesterday and they also had no idea what I was talking about. They said if one has been issued it doesn't necessarily mean they have come up with how they are going to fix it They said wait for something in the mail and it could be a couple of months.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in for an oil/filter change yesterday. Showed the service mgr the NHTSA recall sheet. He asked if I had gotton a mail out from Chrysler...No. He went to the computer screen and said my vehicle was not in the recall but I felt like he was giving me a stock answer. 166,000 Jeeps are a bunch. I guess it's wait and see.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I was in for an oil/filter change yesterday. Showed the service mgr the NHTSA recall sheet. He asked if I had gotton a mail out from Chrysler...No. He went to the computer screen and said my vehicle was not in the recall but I felt like he was giving me a stock answer. 166,000 Jeeps are a bunch. I guess it's wait and see.
When I called they pulled my VIC and said I wasn't on the list even though I am almost 100 percent that I am.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

I don't think any of the dealers have actually received the recall notice yet. The only thing that's been issued so far is the press release. The recall was due in late December, but they're probably just running a little behind. I imagine we'll get notices by the end of the month or early February.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

I emailed NHTSA yesterday regarding this, and still got no reply. could any of you fine folks in US of A give them a call to find out more about this?

NHTSA hotline 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)
NHTSA recall id: 09V-436
Chrysler recall id: J30
Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

received an e-mail today from my dealer saying they have a recall for Wrangler 2009 but did not mentioned anything more. I will phone tomorrow to find out more detail
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I was under the impression they had to install a sensor, too. Am I wrong?

I am always a little nervous about having something like a flash done when everything is working well/smoothly.

(probably because I can get my head around the mechanical stuff but I can't take a wrench to software...)
The automatic transmission came from the factory with a temp sensor in the sump. It sticks down through the valve body.

The display is already there, too. They just have to flash the computer to make the display read "hot oil" at a certain temp.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The automatic transmission came from the factory with a temp sensor in the sump. It sticks down through the valve body.

The display is already there, too. They just have to flash the computer to make the display read "hot oil" at a certain temp.
Thanks, ronjenX.

(and hit me with the stupid stick 'cuz I should have known that: I have an aeroforce gauge and it sure as heck reads the tranny temp! )

Quick Reply: Auto Trans oil temp warning system