Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Auto Trans oil temp warning system

Old 01-02-2010, 05:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Auto Trans oil temp warning system

A friend just told me there is a recall for certain model JKs mfd June 2006 through July 2008. These, potentially 161450, vehicles were not equipped with a transmission temp warning system. Dealers will inspect and install a "HOTOIL" message in the instrument cluster and a chime indicating an elevated transmission fluid condition. Recalls are expected to begin during Dec 2009. Owners may contact Chrysler at 800 835-1403.
Has anyone received this notice? If I don't get a notice does that mean you're not affected.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "warning" is better than a "surprise" (which I had). However, a temp gauge and a cooler is infinitely better (which I have now).
Old 01-02-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not necessarily, call the dealer and they can pull up your VIN to confirm yes or no. The recall notice could be held up for many reasons but the Chrysler computer system at the dealer will tell you for sure
Old 01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have had it for 3+ years know, I might not want to know how often the tranny gets too hot.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
A friend just told me there is a recall for certain model JKs mfd June 2006 through July 2008. These, potentially 161450, vehicles were not equipped with a transmission temp warning system. Dealers will inspect and install a "HOTOIL" message in the instrument cluster and a chime indicating an elevated transmission fluid condition. Recalls are expected to begin during Dec 2009. Owners may contact Chrysler at 800 835-1403.
Has anyone received this notice? If I don't get a notice does that mean you're not affected.
I would think they would want to do more than the warning light given the known issue. I was thinking what if I were wheeling in the forest and the damn thing overheated and caught on fire and chared 1000 acres? Lawsuit all the way to Chrysler -- but they probably had the lawyers look this over already and determine that 5 lawsuits would still be less costly.....
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I called the dealership and they knew nothing of this recall. It may affect up to 161,000 JKs. See this link for more info http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/20/j...ls-due-to-tra/
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

This is strange, the recall is already happening in China, started today. I am also unable to find out any useful information regarding this here from Australia dealers.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I contacted my dealer about this and they did not know anything about it either. They punch up my vin and the recall did not show up even though my Jeep falls within those production dates. The dealer just said to look for a notice in the mail or check back in a couple months.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think my rig will come under the recall. But I am thinking I may not bother.

How many things can the dealer screw up by installing a sensor, digging in the dash to install a light, and (I assume) flashing the computer.

Plus, I already installed an auxiliary cooler and a scan gauge to monitor the tranny temp.

Considering the time, expense, and annoyance of a trip to the dealer and adding the risk of a dealer-screw-up, my advice is get yourself a $50 cooler and spend the hour installing it (see the various write-ups).

Seriously, isn't the goal to NOT overheat the tranny in the first place? Not just get a light that says you already have?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
How many things can the dealer screw up by installing a sensor, digging in the dash to install a light, and (I assume) flashing the computer.
It is just a flash, and nothing else. I will get it, but I really think it is just one of those things where Chrysler is just going to do the minimum just so they can say that they gave a warning light, and you just ignored it.

Quick Reply: Auto Trans oil temp warning system